Re: halogen lamp & paint

> are there any negative side effects of using a halogen desk lamp to > help paint cure faster? > > Chad
Reply to
Ron

Aside from that. ;)

Reply to
Chad

Global Warming.

Reply to
Julia De Silva

You're going to run the risk of melting the model. Take your time, give it a few days. Do you have an air conditioned room? That's a better method. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Chad,

I haven't done this myself but have talked with others who use heat to speed up drying of Oil Paints on Figures (Military Miniatures). In one case a modified crock pot - in another one of those special optional shelves that you can put in the cloths dryer to hold sneakers or other heavy objects you don't want to bang around in the tumbler. The trick is to dry the paint and not melt the model. The advantage here is the oils dry flat when heat cured. At work we've used heat lamps to speed up curing some special paints - but this was aerospace grade aluminum.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Yes...a wonderful technique made popular, in most part, by Phil Kessling.

"Keeper" also suggested a well-air-conditioned room; which illustrates that the low humidity also has a lot to do with paint curing/drying time. Kessling backs this up with the crock pot technique. It is just as much the low humidity, as it is the heat, which does the work.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

My first question is what kind of paint are we talking about here?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

A LITTLE elevated temperature does dramatically shorted drying times.

Buy an inexpensive food dehydrator. Works great.

Greg Reynolds, IPMS

Reply to
Greg Reynolds

Agreed! I bought mine at Wally World for about $25. There was an article on converting a dehydrator/Jerky maker for use drying paints in a back issue of FineScale Modeller. It is particularly useful for aqueous based Acrylic paints which can take over a week to completely dry in humid weather.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Acrylics. hehehe.... I was hoping somebody would notice that I didn't mention the paint. hehehe... Sort of like a trick question.

I set you up guys. Sorry. ;)

So there you have it - acrylics. I was thinking of using halogen on acrylic paints. The idea came to mind when I saw my dad's car being cured by lots of halogen bulbs after being repainted. However, the car's paint was enamel. So I also took into account that it may not work the same way with acrylics.

Reply to
Chad

Global warming is the least of my worries. After leaving for the USA 3 months ago I came back sweating like a pig. The air here is thick with smog! The place is in worse condition when I left it and unleaded gasoline is skyrocketing. :(

Reply to
Chad

Heck, I don't even use a car to get to work anymore because of the prices. I'll enjoy commuting while they still haven't adjusted fare prices. Probably save me a few pesos a day for about a few months.

Reply to
Chad

Beside the model melting and your house burning down, you're pretty much in the clear. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

There was a little trivia-tidbit released recently, about Bill Gates being the "number 1 spamEE" in the world...

It seems that it is YOUR FAULT! He is getting all of YOUR usenet spam.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

At least gas prices are dropping, at least in Albuquerque. Saw it today at several stations for $1.659/gal unl & super was $1.779 John

Reply to
John DeBoo

hihihi.... naughty, naughty am i. ;)

Reply to
Chad

Time for a group cry! ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

And the car was metal, I bet... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Average US price $1.78 / gallon -> $0.40 / litre

In the UK we pay £0.83 per litre -> £1.80 / gallon

So at current exchange rates we in the UK pay $3.40 / gallon

In the US you haven't a clue. We can only dream of those prices. America is the biggest Polluter in the world, and it suits many American to even deny Global warming so they can maintain their lifestyles. Don't get me wrong, the US is a mostly wonderful place with great people, but .......

Reply to
Julia De Silva

Many of us *are* in fact aware of the much higher gas prices overseas.

I do believe that Her Majesty's government taxes petrol at a much higher rate than the US federal gasoline tax. Perhaps you could address the issue to your ministers in Parliament...

Reply to
Al Superczynski