Old French Aircraft HUGE Transport

I have a friend that was stationed in Moroco in the 50's and remembers seeing a "HUGE" french cargo plane come in there. There was only susposed to one of these in existence. Anybody have any ideas what it might have been? There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."

Reply to
SnJmodprod

Probably a Breguet Provence, also known as Deux-Ponts- big double-decker. Ugly as sin.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

A "Sahara" perhaps? Big, low-winged, 4-engines, porcine fuselage? Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

That's a Provence by any other name, and there were many more than one of them...

Reply to
Jeff C

I think "Porcine" is an entirely too polite description-

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Indeed. "French" is quite enough...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Actually, only 16 altogether. Still, they spent the better part of twenty years in service, so they wouldn't have been all that rare.

Less likely candidates for the mystery ship are the SNCASE Armagnac (9 built, though only slightly larger han a DC-4), the Late 631 (7 built, but a flying boat, so probably not) or one that's not even French, the BZ 308 (Italian transport with four Bristol Centaurus driving five-bladed props; pretty damn big and one-of-a kind, but certainly not French).

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

AFAIC, only one Latecore 631 survived the war, and was used on the France-Indochina run until about 1948 or so. Six engines, a beautiful sleek fuselage (imagine a stretch Boeing 314), one of the most graceful airplanes built. The Sahara looked like cross between a Lockheed Constellation and a flounder. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Yeah, love to have one but doubt we'll ever see it kitted. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Contrail 1/72 scale vacuform.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

The Latecoere? Lovely, I got a Ju-290 and a Bv-222 injected to finish before I tackle that one! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Didn't Mach 2 have an injected one?

Maiesm72 wrote:

Reply to
frank

There's a nice build article of it in the latest SAMI.

Reply to
Jeff C

Nope.

If they did someone here would build it, thereby guarenteeing a good injection molded kit within a month of completion. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72