Re: How do you deal with fumes?

> >could have left the room, but I needed to work on my R-M JU52. > > > >How do you ventilate the fumes, and how much does all this cost? > > > >TIF, Mike > in my hi tech, expensive apt. i use a 9.95 box fan i bought > at woolworth's in the 60's. > (new englanders never throw anything out.) > i stick it in the window by the kitchen table where i model > and let it blow outward. > i vent well because i got tired of waking up with my face > glued to the table.
Reply to
Mike Keown

Personally I use a standard extractor fan, dryer hose and a cardboard box. No flash fire's yet in over 7 years of use. Plus the use of a PROFESSIONAL quality mask and things work out fine. Mind you spraying without a mask or ventilation does have it's plus points.

1) After 5 minuets the world seems a much better place and the ability to talk to God improves. 2) If you forgot what colour you sprayed the night before, just blow your nose.

Draven

Reply to
Eric Draven

I use a professional grade VAPOR mask (not Particle mask). However. as regards the mask, over the years I overlooked one very important task. Dr. Frank Mitchell reminded me to *wash the insides of the mask periodically*.

I was appalled at the buildup of crud inside that mask. Yikes!!! There was a culture medium inside that mask that could have grown all sorts of record setting bacterium, fungi, ad naseum.

Warm soap and water is sufficient. However, my mask scared me so badly that I also wiped it down with alcohol.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Uh, don't inhale? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Thanks Draven for the chuckle :-)) Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I used to paint in the garage but since the kid has a graveyard for computers out there I got moved to the back porch.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

glue and bile. hot metal and methedrine.

(the jukebox from hell lives in my head and is always playing.)

geez bill, recycle them. people are always giving me pc's and electronic stuff. i make them work and give them to the poor folks. kids go nuts for an old p1 that plays even simple games.

Same here. The local high schools and vocation colleges are always looking for give a ways for their computer/tech classes. I've rebuilt this puter from parts banks and businesses throw out in the trash, when they upgrade. I guess its just the 'garbage rooter' in me. :-) Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

alt.dumpster

i love dumpster diving. i have a philips 45" projection tv i dove, along with a compressor, a motorcycle and many, many computer parts. last pc was a 450 p2 from a curbside drop. all cords, manuals, monitor...

Same here. Back when I was running a survey van, my instrument man, a guy named Retzer, was a dedicated dumpster diver. One (garbage) day when he needed parts for his daughter's computer, we found a throw-away with most of the parts that he needed. While he was putting his score into the truck, I found a box full of model parts and a silver service for twelve that was being dumped. My daughter got that, while I was able to clean up most of the plastic for my spares box. -- John ___ __[xxx]__ (o - ) --------o00o--(_)--o00o-------

The Old Timer

How do you think he built up this collection? When I'm talking graveyards, think Davis-Monthan of computers. :) He had me helping sort memory the other night. It's amazing how many 2-bit "key chains" he's got. He picked up something from the old man as I am always trying to salvage things. I picked up a few shelf units that were twisted and bent and hammered them straight and re-painted and rebuilt them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

very often i need stuff and the next day the dumpster fairt plunks it down in front of me. today i got a 120 gig maxtor, a 17" monitor and a pci raid card, the cards were mis jumpered and the drive is fine. the monitor just neede degaussing, otherwise it would be a paint booth.

"snip

Damn...I need too score like that!!! Mike

Reply to
Mike Keown

apt complex dumpsters, computer stores and curbside are the best.

A candle works very well for me - plus when the glue dries in the needle, I can melt it in the flame.

Just do not have it lit when using aerosol paints :-)

Reply to
Wayne M Jackson

Ahh, the joys of living in a consumer society......

Reply to
Rob Grinberg