Re: Idiot Question: Respirators - do you need them?

Is there a way to at least get a fan in a window? Seriously, I'd look into a spraybooth to expel the odors/compounds from your spray room. Just because something smells rank doesn't mean it's necessarily harmful

- I rather like the smell of Dio-Sol (the old stuff) and I'm certain that's not good to inhale. Even if you get a good respirator, many of these compounds can be absorbed through your skin, lacquer thinner, for instance. It's a good start but I prefer a spraybooth. Getting those fumes out of the house is the best bet and you don't have to go nuts overdesigning a booth. A cardboard box with a fan and dryer hose to a window would be sufficient. I'd strongly recommend making a change for cleaner air in the room - cleaner air in your lungs will follow. Good luck

Frank Kranick IPMS/USA 20352

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

At one time I think there was a lengthy discussion of chemicals and modeling somewhere on the ipmsusa.org website. Of course, I can't find it now

Reply to
M Stanley

I was fifty before I made my first spray booth. Been modeling since I was five or six years old, so the danger is certainly not super-bad.

A spray booth is a neat thing. If you use a good filter, it will help a lot even if you cannot vent the exhaust outside. This is because much of the vapor comes from evaporation off of fine droplets suspended in air. These droplets are caught in a spraybooth filter.

Also, working with an airbrush gives you MUCH less overspray than a rattle can. I normally do not use a booth when airbrushing, only when rattlecan spraying.

I HAVE gotten bothered by CA fumes when using too much CA in extended gluing sessions.

I do have to wear a dust mask when sand>

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Depends on how often you use an airbrush or paint cans. At least, I'd get some ventilation set up. Next step would be a paint booth. If that's not possible, a respirator will do you a lot of good. I used to spray paint without one, until I got tired of technicolor boogers.

The more expensive, the better (up to a point...). The cheap ($ 20?) throwaway ones already help a lot, but the fit isn't perfect (I've found paint dust around my nose, inside the mask, on occasion).

Reply to
Harro de Jong

There are a couple of things to consider:

[1] Particulates. All paints that are applied by aerosl (rattlecan or airbrush) are going to generate patrticulates that do your insides no good. YMMV as to exactly how bad they are for you and how well you'll stand up to them constitutionally, but cumulative exposure is the real risk, not a single event. Note that sanding of resin can also generate nasty particulates, so a mask might be worthwhile for that too. The simplest masks will stop particulates just fine if they're put on properly. [2] Toxic vapors. This depends on what you use. I happen to prefer acrylics, which are not entirely non-toxic, but usually have nothing worse than glycol or isopropanol in them. I have never found acrylic fumes to be an issue; I spray in an open garage in the middle of the floor. On the other hand, I also do use some Model Master, SNJ and dribs or drabs of other enamel or lacquer-based paints. I also clean my airbrush with diosol and /or 4% ammonia. These substances require a more agressive filtration, or a really strong breeze. I don't know if the greater risk is one-time exposures or cumulative impact, but either way, I figure that if I don't like the smell of it, it's not good for my body. Always worked for lima beans :-)

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert