What kind of respirators do you use? [was: How do I protect myself from welding fumes]

Hi, everyone. You always here a lot about welding fumes and now that I'm getting into welding more, I want to protect myself. What really scares me are the stories about zinc or galvanized coatings.

The other day I was grinding on some 1/8" lawn edging to get the green paint off it. I was going to use it to practice my gas welding. Well, the paint came off with the grinder, but left a lot of heavy green dust on the floor. And, even though I had clean metal (from grinding), when I was welding it gave off a helluva stink. I put one of those disposable dust mask things on, but I don't think it helped much.

What respirators do y'all use, if any? I'd like one that goes under a welding hood for when (notice I didn't say 'if'...I think I'm addicted to welding) I move up to Arc and TIG.

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

I am sure there are many, many repirators on the market, some are specifically designed for welding (so it fits under the helmet. those will cost you $$$,

I personally weld in a self made welding booth with an extractor fan, but when I plasma cut or grind a lot( outside ) , I use a standard (home depot) dual cartrige respirator, normally avail. in $29-39 range. these are not the $2 dust masks note: these are avial in 2 different cartrige configurations. the beter one should say: for organinc vapors, chlorine, hydrogen chloride, sulfer dioxide, chlorine dioxide and hydrogen. also effective against particulate aerosols.

beside the paper filter material, it has active coal granuals inside and have limited shelf life, once opened. active coal is a magnet for the bad boys named above.

if your respirator is set up right , you should not smell any of the nasty stuff named above, nor when some one farts around you :-)

once you got the respirator , replacement cartriges are also available at a lower cost.

this repirator works really good for plasma cutting and grinding, but it is too large to fit under the welding helmet.

this is my story and I am sticking to it.

Reply to
acrobat ants

forgot ..... if you got the large "old style " welding helmet, those respirators may fit under the helmet.

I know it does not fit under the newer slimmer auto darkenig helmets.

Reply to
acrobat ants

I think you can help extend the life of the cartridge by storing the respirator in a Zip-Loc type bag when not in use. billh

Reply to
billh

_Sealed_ bag. That means a metallised bag and ideally heat-sealed, not just Ziploc.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've used this kind of respirator when grinding and such, but as you say, it doesn't fit under the helmet. I don't suppose there is some easy way to attach hoses and drape the cartridges over my shoulder ... since I don't the $$ for the ones that are made that way.

I've always wondered: How do you tell when the cartridge is used up?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

Have a look at

. They have a couple different types that will fit under a welding helmet. Hope this helps..

Reply to
John D

Sure that is best but just putting it in a Ziploc should be much better than leaving it hanging in the shop. billh

Reply to
billh

--Here's a neat trick I learned a long time ago: when not wearing the mask store it in a 2-lb coffee can. Before you put the lid on, toss in a couple of spoonfulls of freshly ground coffe; makes the mask smell a lot less funky when you put it on again.

Reply to
steamer