welding respirators

greetings, i am seeking info and or opinions on a good affordable welding respirator...seems that the older i get the less tolerant i am to welding fumes, particularly stainless fumes. there seems to be a zillion respirators available to buy so i was hoping to narrow the field down a bit. i use a jackson shadow hood so i dont want anything bulky on my face. any info would be appreciated. thanks, chris

Reply to
cj

I have a U.S. Safety mask with activated carbon as well as dust filters. I've had it for several years and changed the dust filters a few times when they showed signs of clogging up. I'm still on my first set of vapour filters. I can tell they still work since with the mask on, I can't smell any solvents I'm working with nor can I smell cut grass when lawn-mowing (I wear it due to allergies).

Highly recomended but make sure it will fit under your helmet.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

He needed the organic vapour cartridge.......

Reply to
ATP

North brand is the best thing I ever strapped on my mug. 3M makes one that looks pretty good, but North is definately the best in my book. Sometimes you can get them on Ebay.

I have literally bathed myself in dust and chemical fumes and as long as you're wearing that mask, you will never notice the difference.

They make the standard carbon activated filters, but you can also get the prefilters. I clogged it up one time doing some drywall repairs. It was amazing to see how much gypsum I had kept out of my lungs that day. I am always amazed at people who do not wear one when they need to.

I get mine from Lab Safety corp.

Reply to
Nefarious Pickle