Re: Mosquito Kit Comparison Question

Both have their pros and cons.

In terms of outline accuracy the Hasegawa has the edge, the wings, rudder and parts of the fuselage differing in outline from the Tamiya.

The Tamiya cockpit and u/c are better detailed than the Hasegawa. The surface detailing is better on the Hasegawa in my opinion.

Fit is more or less the same.

Anders

AYSUN5961" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com...

Tamiya and Hawsegawa each make a 1/72 Mosquito. Which kit is better in terms of > fit, detail and accuracy? > > Thanks, > Jeff > The eagle has landed
Reply to
Anders Svennevik

I think I read somewhere that the Airfix (yes Airfix) kit had better landing gear detail than the Tamiya. I may be confusing the 1/48 kits. I have all three 72nd kits and while the Airfix may not show the current state of the art finesse it nonetheless can be made into a first rate model. Imo Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

I agree, Max. I've built a few Airfix Mozzies over the years and I reckon they are fabulous value for money. The Tamiya and Hasegawa kits may have the edge on cockpit and undercart detail, but considering this can all be scratchbuilt in no time using scrap plastic, fuse wire, brass rod and some photographic reference, there's little to be gained for the extra $20+ that you'll pay for the Jap kits.

It's not often I'll say this about an old Aifix kit, but in the case of their Mozzie, it wins the race hands down for value, in my opinion.

If you really want to, you can spend those saved dollars on some resin.

James V.

Reply to
James Venables

I've built both the Airfix and Hasegawa Mosquitos, and studied the Tamiya kit in detail. The Tamiya kit looks the prettiest by far (lots of nice detailing), but its shape is just too much off in a number of areas. The inboard wing is too large in chord, the rear fuselage too much of a straight cone, and the vertical tail is not of the right contour. I studied it taped together, and it just doesn't have the nice lines of a real Mosquito. If you want an accurate Mosquito, leave the pretty Tamiya alone, and go for the Hasegawa. It is pretty boring, but a much better basis for an accurate model.

Rob de Bie

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Well, Rob! This naturally stirs up the question: Did Tamiya transfer it's various outline errors to their 1/48 scale Mosquito kit??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

As I recall, the 1/48 Tamiya Mossie came out *before* the 1/72 version.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

And the Airfix 1/48 Mosquito was "downsized" from an unrealized 1/24 kit! Got very high marks for accuracy at first release--is it still?

Reply to
Tom Cervo

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

I'd be happier if they released it in 1/24! 8(

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Which begs a couple of questions, Rob:

  1. What do you think about the venerable Airfix 1/72 Mossie in terms of shape?
  2. How does the 1/48 Tamiya Mossie compare to their 1/72 effort? Pip Moss

I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

It is some time ago I made the comparisson, but I believe the Airfix looked slightly better in most areas. For example the rear fuselage, which has just the right amount of curvature, compared to the almost straight cones of the Hasegawa and Tamiya models. I would say the Airfix is the best shape-wise. A possible problem are the overall dimensions, I remember seeing some differences there, but I don't recall the exact details.

I have never seen or studied the 1/48 model, so I can't say.

Rob de Bie

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Hi Rob

I just received the decals they look awesome. Again thanks

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi