Re: Nickname for the Dornier 24

"Diéresis" is what we call the "Umlaut" in Spanish. From

>the Latin, I guess. Another term for it is "crema"

I knew "umlaut" but I'll be adding "crema" to my lexicon of diacritical marks.

The ß is actually an "Esszet" (sz)

Yeah, thanks Marco!

Cheers, The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks, Marco. I hope you know I was being puckish with the first paragraph. I had never heard of 'diaresis' before but the Esszet does sound familiar. Wow, I'd be a terror if I could remember everything I've forgotten over the years (or I'd be terrified).

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Mine probably used that too. I'd just forgotten after all this time. I have no idea if my teacher's still around or not. The last I heard of him he'd been kicked out because the district found he'd been living with his boyfriend.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Oh, I know. I almost added a smiley ;-) after the ellipsis, but since you didn't originally include any either, I left it out.

Well, I'm with A.C. Doyle in this regard, when he had Sherlock Holmes not knowing that the Earth traveled around the Sun, and after being told so by Watson, answering that he was going to make everything possible to forget it, since the human memory isn't infinite as some may believe, and he'd rather use the available space to store some other data that might prove more useful for his job.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

Am 31 Mar 2004 13:45:02 GMT schrieb "Keeper":

The 'ü' is also known as 'u-umlaut', in talking you would pronounce it like an 'u' in French alphabet; the 'ß' is called 'esszett' in German (that character is originated by a s-z ligature, it is pronounced like the sharp, hissing 's', that you hear, when you let air out of your car' tyres :-).

If you want to write 'Tausendfüßler' on a keyboard that has no umlaut keys (or if only standard ascii is allowed), you may simply write 'Tausendfuessler'...

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
spam-trash