Re: Real OD

So I'm down at the tank barn painting grousers for our M5A1s Tuesday

> night. As I'm painting, I'm thinking, man this paint looks really > good, best OD I've ever seen. I look at the can and realize it says > 1944 Olive Drab US. Now I'm thinking... Hmmmm... > > It looks a little thick, but if I can thin it enough to shoot through > the airbrush... > > So the boss man said to bring some containers and I can cop a pint or > 2 and the acrylic reducer for it, too. I'd like to have a rivet > counter complain anout the shade now. Well gee we paint our 1:1 scale > tanks with this and we keep getting noticed for how authentic they > look. Doh!

Sadly, someone will come along and claim that you should be adding a little pale grey to produce a "scale colour" effect. And the second you do that, someone else will claim "oh, it's a little too light"!

Best to ignore them all. You won't please everyone so you might as well just please the only person who matters. You!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I only use "scale effect" for model ships. Scale effect is due to the contrast-reduction effects of atmospheric haze at long distances. Viewing a 1:600 scale ship at ordinary viewing distances does represent viewing the ship from a quarter mile or so away, and the atmosphere can desaturate colors at that distance. The scale distance you view even a 1:72 scale airplane, or a model car at, would only create this effect on a VERY foggy day.

Now, there is another effect which reduces paint saturation- chalking due to sunlight on older paints. It is legit to duplicate this as part of weathering. But it is NOT scale effect.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota