Reginald Denny's Hobby Shop

On 1/21/2014 10:03 PM, Rufus wrote:

Looking at the top picture of the shop in this link, this is not the shop I remember. I recall it being a brick building.
--
Dale G Elhardt AG6MA
Flower Mound, TX
the Legend of LAX wrote:

I got the impression in my reading that there had been a few differing locations. But maybe all of them still were somewhere on Hollywood Bvld?
--
- Rufus

On 1/22/2014 7:46 PM, Rufus wrote:

I looked up the address on Google Maps. It appears to be a tobacco shop now (the shop I visited). Lots of graffiti around. Looks like a bad neighborhood now.
--
Dale G Elhardt AG6MA
Flower Mound, TX
replying to Rufus , George Bott wrote:

<http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amamuseum/2011/12/20/reginald-denny-actor-modeler-designer/

I lived on Van Ness and Franklin from the mid 40's to the mid 60's. Reginalds Dennys Hobby Shop was originally located on the north west corner of taft and Hollywood Blvd across from Ralphs Grocery Store located at 5711 Hollywood Blvd. The store moved to the locations mentioned previously at later dates. The location was torn down and replaced with a Texaco Gas Station at which time the alley way between that ran between Van Ness and Taft was incorporated into the properties for the Richfield and Texaco Gas stations. We used to fly model plains of the Concrete slab behind the Reginald Denny's Store through the 50's. george bott
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:18:02 AM UTC-5, George Bott wrote:

The address, according to a March 1937 Model Airplane News that I came across, was: Reginald Denny Industries Inc. 5751 Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood Calif. Evidently, he (his company) manufactured a series of rubber-band- and gas-powered model airplanes. Hope this helps.
Regards, John Braungart
replying to Rufus, AJ Brink wrote: I visited the shop in 1963, twice, my memory is really bad dur to a serious stroke, but I recall Hollywood and central, the shop was on a hill above Hollywood Blvd. I,had to ride a bus from Whittier Blvd. and walk several blocks on Hollywood. I still,have the motor the Denny mite . I had it professionally overhauled in 2014 and I am currently building the Denny Special. Tough model to build but very rewarding. And very classic. Haven't decided on the motor yet. Might go 2 cycle with rudder RC. Micky Rooney, I under stand had an interest in the company, and 10 different machine shops had a deal with regonial to produce the DennyMite. Production runs year wise are unknown, or knowing the year production of the Mite was complete,but I bought mine in the summer of 1963. I sure miss thos times, Sunny I
replying to Rufus, George Bott wrote: Here is a guy up at the conor of vanness and franklin from 1946 to 1961. Reginald Denny's was initially at the conor of Taft and hollywood Blvd. Located on the north west corned across from the Ralph's parking lot and adjacent to the Richfield on Van Ness and Hollywood blvd..Across from the Richfield station was a Bowling Alley which became A Mobile station and garage, after that it was the home of Hollywood Sport Cars. Denny's was located there until it relocat to the North West corned of Western Ave andSunset. Later it moved to the Bronson and Hollywood Blvd. its final location to the best of my know ledge.
George Bott
replying to RJK, Stan wrote: I hung out at Reginald Denny's hobby shop from about 1950 to 1953. It was on the corner of Hollywood and Taft. Taft was part of my paper route. I lived about 1 1/2 miles from the shop. Jim Walker came and did a demonstration of his things for a group of us. At the shop I spent a lot of time with Frank. I was also in "the boys club of Hollywood model club "Smog Town Prop Twisters." When Denny's didn't have Arden prop nuts, we went to Colonel Bob's. Great memories! The Hollywood freeway was built at this time too.
On Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 8:20:02 PM UTC-7, RJ Kellog wrote:

Reginald Denny?s Hobby Shop located at 5751 Hollywood Blvd. (near T aft), Hollywood, CA, catering to miniature and model airplane hobbyist sinc e 1935. The photo was supposedly taken in 1961.
Denny was no longer an owner by 1939, however, the shop continued to use hi s name. The business moved in 1963 to 1501 N. Western Ave. until 1972 when it moved to 5905 Hollywood (at Bronson) before quietly going out of busines s.
On Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 10:20:02 PM UTC-5, RJ Kellog wrote:

On Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 10:20:02 PM UTC-5, RJ Kellog wrote:

On Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 8:20:02 PM UTC-7, RJ Kellog wrote:

IN 1035 I LIVED TWO BLOCKS FROM DENNEY'S AIRPLANE SHOP. MY AUNT GAVE ME FIVE CENTS TO BUY A BOLSA WOOD GLIDER FOR MY COUSIN. I GAVE THEM FIVE CENTS AND THEY GAVE ME FIVE GLIDERS. I GAVE MY COUSIN ONE OF THEM AND KEPT FIVE.
replying to RJK, William Wolf wrote: I remember Reginald Denny's Hobby shop on the corner of Sunset and Western until about that 1977 period when the business moved to the Hollywood Blvd. location. In about the 1980 time frame the shop closed, as you say, and a hardware store opened. Reginald Denny's had a good selection of models and and awesome display.
replying to RJK, William Wolf wrote: I remember Reginald Denny's Hobby shop on the corner of Sunset and Western until about that 1977 period when the business moved to the Hollywood Blvd. location. In about the 1980 time frame the shop closed, as you say, and a hardware store opened. Reginald Denny's had a good selection of models and and awesome display.
replying to RJK, John D Lightholder wrote: I lived on Fernwood Av, just west of Western Av. I graduated from Grant Elementary the summer of '66. I was in Denny's hobby shop often. It was on the corner of Sunset and Western av. I remember well the model planes hanging from the ceiling. He had a great slot car track there too. Good times!