"Remaining parts may be discarded"

"Ken Lilly" wrote

Ah, but you did. You said "$30, and . . . another $30" for the second kit. It would only be "another $30" if you bought both kits.

Besides, if you only wanted one of the kits, what makes a difference if both are $30, and both are available?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

The wing fences are different on the E and S. The slats might be slightly different too but I don't recall for sure.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

someone else

extra parts for

Matchbox

away and

Ah ha! Yes that is true. And illustrated quite well in the Sherman argument above. The Sherman kits so frequently have extra parts that I've bought some kits specifically because the spares would be useful on another project.

I have the Tamy M3 Lee. What a mess, I even found a picture of the "prototype" they copied a one off test vehicle. But I've got the replacement rear plate and stuff and replacement road wheels in Tamy and DML Sherman kits as spares. In this case you had early/late type options, which is nice. I don't hink I entirely agree with KL's position, though. It isn't so much as not knowing what version you want when you bought the kit, you can still only build one Sherman from each box 'o parts from DML. I doubt a lot of people really start out everytime to build a specific vehicle down to the lug nut pattern in early '43. Sometimes you open the box and there are differnet camo and markings on different versions and one has more appeal once you see it.

Nevertheless you still pretty much buy one kit for each "version" you put together. Though I actually think I have enough spares and aftermarket (including extra hulls, remember the DML HVSS with the incorrect hull? I think I have have a resin and a plastic replacement for the original incorrect for the HVSS hull) to make one more Sherman than I have individual kits.

If you want to build an F-4E and the only kit you can find is the "F" or vice versa you can buy the kit and 1) be surprised that the other parts are there, 2) make your own or 3) buy aftermarket.

You're still gonna drop the other $30 if you want to build the other version, too.

My view is simply - extra parts left over are a bonus for future projects. If you buy fancy brand kit for $30 and cheap brand kit for $10 and convert it with the spares are you as happy as if you'd spent the extra and for the "better" kit.

????????????

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Some of that is also the "I want variant X but the extra parts will be welcome in my parts box" crowd.

Reply to
Ron

The slatted wing sprue from the Hasegawa 1/48 kits comes with both fences. One is molded onto the wing (the short one) and the other (long) one is a separate part meant to replace the molded on one after it has been removed. The minor differences in the slats themselves is not covered in the Hasegawa kits.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Thanks. Not being into 1/48 I didn't know that - good move on their part. ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Ron" wrote

Probably. I don't put too much value in a set of VVSS track blocks (w/o end connectors), half a 76mm turret, or an M4A3 lower hull plate though.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

If it doesn't cost me anymore than a regular release or a competitor's release without the 3 in 1 option I'll go for the kits with extra parts assuming both kits are reasonably accurate. Plus right now I'm not buying Tamiya products so that pretty much leaves DML and AFV Club for decent armor kits.

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" wrote >

Yeah, but. . . but. . . What were we talking about? . . . Oh yeah. Anyways, whether or not a company includes directions for the use of every single part in the box matters not a whit to me. Also, I will not pay a premium for extra options within one kit IF the constituent variants are available separately.

Because?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Yeah, that was a real interesting statement by him !

Inquiring minds want to know.

Allan

Reply to
AM

Like I said, so long as the price is the same and around here it is for the DML stuff, options or not.

Because I'm personally pissed they paid a licensing fee to Lockheed. Not that my small boycott will do any good but I have chosen to vote with my wallet.

Reply to
Ron