Rider's in Madison Heights

The next time I hear a sob story about another hobby shop going south, I'll think of this morning in Rider's. The corner where all the new stuff goes on show? It's a little hard to get to because the help is hard at work playing a Magic card game on the counter! WTF? Since I was going to Old Guard anyway I didn't bother them. I didn't buy anything either.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Sounds like the Hobbytown USA we have in Columbus. If you ain't RC you ain't shit. Not to mention the smart-ass manager. Thankfully I have other choices to shop at.

Reply to
Mark M

Must be something about Hobbytowns. The one we have in Davenport, IA was like that too when they were out in the new upscale business area, but now they've moved, and the attitude is a bit more friendly (staffing change?). They're still geared toward RC though. We still have our Hobby Lobby, and (free plug time) two very good family-owned shops in Davenport, MVR Hobby and Major's Art and Hobby.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

and dollhouses, too, but it also has a nice selection of plastics, paints, sheets and shapes, etc. The guys that own it are really helpful and friendly. It's a nice place to brows and shop. I guess the earlier comment about management setting the tone is correct. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

Gad! Could we send you poor souls the staff and owners of San Antonio Hobbies?

When was the last time that you were in a hobby shop where the staff spend much of their time "haunting" the customers? Not like "Can I help you/" (which always ticks me off as I have no idea if they "can" help me and even less of an idea if the "May" help me).

Rather than being available to answer questions they go from isle to isle staring down suspects...er, I mean customers. They tried to arrest a long time customer once because he got too close to the door without paying. He's a CHP officer. They ended up looking like a cat whose milk turned around and bit him in the butt. Now retired, he works for their major compititon.

I go there every other year or so. I purchase only things marked down close to cost such as old magazines (new until you read them).

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72