Rise or Decline?

Eyeball2002308 wrote: : I was not comparing tamiya to airfix. : I build only 1/72 and smaller scales,where a lot of the planes are still only : represented by airfix rereleases,or in some cases not at all.

If it's that poorly represented in 1/72, then chances are that it's not available at all in something larger...

What are you interested in building that you feel isn't being catered for?

Reply to
Ruediger LANDMANN

Have we really?

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

None. Among my relatively modest stash of 90-odd kits, I still have two unbuilt Airfix 1/24 kits I picked up in Singapore in 1983. I might work on the Hurricane this winter...or I might start that 1/350 resin Adams class DDG. Hang on...there's that Lucky Model adversary group build for November....

See what I mean? We're literally spoiled for choice these days.

And...there's a whole crop of new temptations coming along in 1/32 and up. Sure, they cost about five times as much as a Tamiya 1/48 single engine fighter model. Although they may take at least five times as long to build, people don't seem to have any trouble finishing that Academy Bug.

Add to this the leap in quality over the earlier generation of large scale kits and you have excellent value for money.

If you don't have the room or the wallet for these, there are 12,000+ 1/72 kits and perpetual reissues of Monogram 1/48 kits from which to choose.

If anything, you're being 'pushed out' by all the choices out there, the cheapest of which can be had for less than the cost of two Happy Meals, finished in a weekend and displayed on a bookshelf. So quit bellyaching and go cheer yourself up by building one.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

On another note... The hobby shop owner tells me single moms come coming in with sons is a major piece of their modeling market.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

This is not true. AmTech's only connection business-wise to AMT is they have issued some modified and previously developed but unreleased AMT releases. There is no common ownership/management/development/manufacturing cross-over between the two companys except for the manufacture of the AMT derived kits.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

It would be nice if it were true. It seems like a bizarre statement considering the current state of world affairs.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that a warrior culture is a pre-requisite for a healthy modeling hobby.

Reply to
Rick DeNatale

OK, so I'll bow to the non-aircraft, non-1/72 argument that Revellogram are producing new kits in Morton Grove.

I'll still ask, though, what new aircraft kits have come from them? It seems that al of the new aircraft kits are coming from Revell AG. Yes, they are owned by Revell, but they are manufactured in Germany.

I guess this thread has run its course. The bottom line in answering the original question is that there are more new kits coming out now than ever before.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

No business-wise connection, but the products have, at least so far, all been developed from AMT products and planned products.

The same may be said for Novo and the miriad Eastern European companies that produced Frog kits. No business-related connection, but Frog-derived. Even the never released situation is similar with the Ventura, P-39, Wellington and the Russian subjects.

It's semantics.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

The all new TA-183, the upcoming P-61 kits, as well as a host of new stuff he is announcing on Thursday in Chicago, have no AMT origins.

How do you figure that? They are seperate entities that share no personnel, ownership, development, management, or production facilities.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

This is what I do not understand.

With the Gulf wars it would seem that there would be a BIG market for the equipment we now use. A lot of men and women coming back would likely have an interest in a model that they drove, shot, flew in when they were in the Gulf. I also think the younger modelers would have a bigger interest in building a model of current equipment used in the Gulf than something in WWII. Me, I like them all.

Reply to
George Myers

Reply to
jerry 47

Reply to
meow

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@quack.com at snipped-for-privacy@quack.com wrote on 9/9/03 11:07 AM:

I used to have to work out of an M-49. That was an earlier tracked APC. Our battery had 105mm M-52 SPs. I have no desire to build either one, even if there were kits available.

MBell

Reply to
Milton Bell