Roller Coaster Scale Models

I have some students who want to build scale models of roller coasters. Does anyone have any links to blueprints or plans I can guide them to?

Thanks,

MrBadClams

Reply to
Michael Ludwig

Do a "google" for groups dedicated to "circus modeling". Believe it or not, that hobby appears to be almost as large, and world-wide popular, as our hobby.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Search out "Faller Models". They do a number of models for model train layouts, including a rather extensive carnival ride set, including, IIRC, roller coasters. A quick check on eBay under "Faller" (sans quotes) should give you an idea of what they offer. Good luck.

The Old Timer

Not so much a scale model as a very complex working toy, but check Disney Delivears in Disneyland (or Disney World).

They have the Screamin! roller coaster, very large, with functionng cars. They have several other rides from California Adventure as well.

BTW, this a great coaster wth an incredible acceleration. Even better is the Soaring Over California ride. It's a wide angle movie. You are strapped into a "hang glider" for about twelve across. The seats raise up as much as twenty feet with three different levels, feet dangling. The only negative is that it should be longer.

Tom

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Functional??

K'Nex have a couple of great roller coaster sets, Screamin' Serpent and Rippin' Rocket.

For some truely awesome model roller coasters, check out

for inspiration. No plans though. He explains the challenges of making a functional coaster since the physicals doesn't scale from the 1:1 coaster to the model which requires modifications in the design from the 1:1 coaster being modelled.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hartlen

Battery powered cars. I havn't built it yet, but I have seen completed models running and they look great.

I got all of the rides in the series. I like the monorail the best as I had a similar one when I was little.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Walthers (walthers.com?) has plenty of kits for model railroads. There's several available for carnival/amusement park applications. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper