San Martin Galleon - wooden ship kit

Here's a link to it:

What do you guys think of this kit? I love the way it looks in the closeup pictures. What level of expertise do you think this one is? How many hours to build? Is it OK for a beginner? Do you guys know if it comes with good instructions?

Reply to
wizzzer

It *can* be done by a beginner, but the odds are against you, and you'd probably need the assistance of something more than the instructions/plans that come with the kit. I successfully completed a Santa Maria (single plank hull), but never would have been able to without the assistance of this book: "Ship Modeling Simplified" by Frank Mastini.

I also had several other books about building wooden ship models. I would suggest you search for some of these books online. In addition to Model Shipways kits (which I agree with the other poster, are excellent kits with excellent instructions) are Midwest Models. The are great models with exceptional instructions. They don't leave much to guess about, compared to the Italian and Spanish kits. John

Reply to
John A. Mason