Private email-public forum-'public email'. Why?

Not wanting to start any flames, but why do some folks carry on email conversations here, in public, conversations that are or at least turn
OT & best taken to private email? Do they not have email access? Sorry, but it's just one of those pet peeves I have.
frank wrote:

Because they are clueless. It is one of my peeves also. Two reasons. First, they may be less than fully into computers and do not know how to find an email address in a header, so it is easier to just reply to group. Second, some folks are so egotistical that they feel the world hangs on their every word!
Assuming the first reason is the main one, folks should learn how to find email addresses in headers, and learn how to use their email client. Then they need to learn how to copy and paste comments between discussion group client and emails.
Another peeve of mine is folks who merely reply "me too" to a discussion.

The exact same reason I will strike up a conversation in line or on the curb, but would not neccessarily care to invite that person home or into my car to continue the chat. As for taking it to e-mail, that only works when you have their e-mail - not always the case in usenet. Most of us aren't that tight.
My pet peeve are people that are locked into netiquette as if it is carved in stone somewhere on some lonely mountain top; that berating someone about some arcane "rule" from back in the day when tubes roamed the computer circuits is a measure of their long service at the keyboard - or I suppose in some cases, the tape reader. It's like finding out that you broke some stupid rule from the Little Rascals' No Girls Allowed Club.
Not accusing anyone here of these crimes just venting out loud.
Don't make me top post people! ;-)
WmB

Oh No! Not that! Please don't........<g>
-- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup
WmB wrote:

Or, stone knives and bearskins......;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Star Trek fan? Or should we take this to e-mail. ;-)
WmB
WmB wrote:

Yes. Do your tom-toms carry this far? :)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Surely you don't continue your conversation in line or at the curb for 3 or 4 days. Hey, if they apparently have each other's phone numbers........................
WmB wrote:

I'm pretty sure these guys know each other's emails. Not that I get offended by their language, but as some folks point out, there are young folks reading here too. Egotistical, clueless or just inconsiderate................
Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

It annoys me as well but, since this is an unmoderated forum, they are free to post what they want. I recommend that, when a thread turns into a personal chat between two-three people, just mark the thread "Ignore" (or if your reader doesn't have that feature) just don't open it anymore.
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been
Bill Woodier wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:51:11 -0500, "Bill Woodier"

Why ignoring? It's so fun to eavesdrop people talking about their own private affairs :-P
--
Luca Beato - http://xoomer.virgilio.it/huey /
FAQ del plastimodellismo su http://www.ipmsitaly.com/faq/modelfaq.html
Luca Beato wrote:

:-) As is evident, the conversation is not e-mail, but netnews. It's a discussion group after all, so having a netnews discussion, however OT it might be, can all be nicely summarized under one thread. No fuss, no mess. Good newsreaders do the same with email BTW (virtual groups, threads, etc., attributes to ignore, invisibalize, etc.)

Would we have it any other way I ask you?

What, is there a law now? :-) In a moderated group, sure, or on sites with discussion forums, definitely. And in some countries with less social freedom, like Japan, where people are warned or punished by being ignored if they do not stick to the subject strictly. We should be thanking our lucky stars that we can still all get along in a loose manner on Usenet without some hierarchy forcing themselves on us.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug ( snipped-for-privacy@rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp) Tel: +81 774 38-3866
JSPS Fellow (Rm.403, RISH, Kyoto Uni.) Fax: +81 774 31-8463
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Amen to that!
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

I wish I knew. I've wondered about that, too - seems like an odd, but harmless, practice to me. Those kinds of threads trigger my kill filters...

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond