scapa flow

I'm sure that many of us modellers aren't in a position or have the time to designate ships. Your better off asking the MoD or Royal Navy!

Read near to the bottom just under WWII.

I kind of feel the same about the hulk of metal which used to be the Arizona! ;-) There is a lot of wasted metal not very deep down there which could be turned into useful artifacts.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

and weren't there fatalities?

A few years ago the Royal Oak was still there in the northern part - She's in the charts by our navigator almost managed to catch her with the anchor!!!

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

A wreck is a former ship that now lies on tho bottom of the sea on on a coast line, so they are wrecks, but not war graves for those scutteled, but Royal Oak is one.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

My main concern is all that oil. Firstly it's a waste of a vital resource. Secondly it's going to burst out someday and cause an environmental mess.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There are problems all over the world with wrecks that still contain a significant amount of bunker oil--couple of years ago, an old wreck off San Francisco started disgorging oil and engendered a pretty massive salvage operation to clean it up. However, the problem is often overestimated--low temperatures and high pressures often have the effect of congealing the oil to the point that it goes nowhere, or only seeps very slowly. Most oil spills are due to surface accidents, like the Torrey Canyon mess years ago in the Channel, or the Exxon Valdez.

As for the Arizona, while it does leak oil, and might be the source of a significant spill if there's still enough bunkerage down there, one has to consider more than mere economic issues. The Arizona is a memorial. It's true that all that metal (and perhaps oil) is serving no crassly utilitarian purpose. The same can be said of all that copper and steel used to make the Statue of Liberty. Let's carve that up too! Gravestones serve no real purpose--they should be requisitioned by the construction industry. For those of you who pray in churches or synagoues or mosques, can't you just use an open field? Those gaudy 'houses of god' waste a lot of perfectly good wood, stone, precious metals, steel, brass and so on. Why the hell do we have the Lincoln Memorial? The guy has been dead for almost 140 years. Scrape the sucker, use the stone for something useful, and put a six-story condo complex there.

The point is, there really is no purpose to memorializing the past, either in terms of sacrifices or ideals. If we spend too much time thinking about the past, how the heck are we supposed to repeat the mistakes of the past?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

IIRC, most of the German stuff was salved in the 20s (?). I'll go to the local library tomorrow and borrow the book I read about it. b If CRAFT disease don't set in first...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Careful Mark, you are getting a little too deep for some of these guys here!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

[tonnage snipped]

Damned right! I love this guy!

I feel the same about these archaeological digs where they find some bones from the Iron Age. They act with such reverence and go for a level of honour in the following burials that would make a president jealous. Then we go to a post-Victorian skeleton used in medical teaching.

At least in some graveyards in the UK the local councils then decide which churches to close down and whether to put offices of housing on the old graveyards.

As for the Statue of Liberty, I'd have it mostly buried on a beach where kids can dress up in monkey suits and ride around on horses chasing their parents.

Maybe for the War graves they could use the same guidelines for graves on land. Wait until immediate relatives have passed on and then remove the memorial/grave and put some nice little plaque in its place. Stick a few of those plastic houses that you'd put in a goldfish bowl around the edge of it and give those little suckers yet another place to live.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

While HMS Royal Oak used oil, the German ships were coal fired. PT

Reply to
Giessenlad

e> coolness, i knew something was left. i will have to search for e> documentaries. i'm sure someone is selling them. dresden 2 i e> read about long ago,

There are also several torpedo boats of the V classes, and some submarines. Plus British harbor patrol craft wrecks and I think one submarine that is a war wreck, apart from the Roayal Oak.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

so it's as big a junk pile a pearl?

The largest source on non irradiated steel in the entire world

Simmilar when they raised the CSS Hunley, the crews remains were immedately tested, for the same reason as above..... (as well as the hull plating) BTW that is another good story, google it, and ya all will be impressed !

Azzz1588