Smer 1:48 ww1 planes

Has anyone had any experience with the Smer brand, specifically with their
1:48 WW1 planes such as Sopwith Camel, SE5a, Bristol fighter, and Fokker Dr1
and D.VII ?
Thanks
Reply to
Norman Lever
These are all ex Merit molds. Since these molds are from the sixties you're going to have some flash to clean up and there may be some fit problems. They're fun for quick builds but not contest quality. Some of the other 1/48 scale WWII kits are ex Artiplast and have a reputation for poor fit. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
i'm working on their walrus and except for molded in decal roundels and a few sinks, it's pretty decent. you have to add the engine offset, but two drilled holes fix that. i bought it as practice for the ca, but it is so easy to build and detail, i like it in it's own right. the wing fit was a little gappy, but since this is a wing folder, it works. decals were good and instructions clear. it's a fun little build, i got a second freebie that i will do in a different scheme.
Don't know about those kits, but IIRC only SMER AVRO504K, S.V.A. and AIRCO DH2 are scale accurate, I only have the AIRCO DH2 - and it's a beauty.
-- Vedran Kalamiza

Vedran Kalamiza
IIRC, some are also 1/50 rather than 1/48, though the small scale difference may not be an issue.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
The Avro 504K builds up nicely. I had the DH.2 and the SVA.5 but never got around to building them. The ones you mention above are based on copied Aurora kits from the '50s. If you can find the Aurora Brisfit or the cleaned-up Monogram Camel, SE.5A and the Fokkers go for them first.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Must have been the fifties, not sixties -- I remember getting some of the Merit kits when I was at school. I still haven't haven't finished the 504K -- only got as far as sanding of the moulded-on decal positions. I think I'll wait for the coming Roden one.
Tony P
Reply to
Tony P
I built their Albatross DIII. Lot of flash and had to sand the impressed iron crosses, but it came out pretty good and rigged up nice. On the other had a non WW1 biplane the Fiat CR32 I had to buy four kits to make two good models, but then it was the only game in town for that aircraft. Smer kits aren't really that bad for the price you pay. Mike IPMS
Reply to
Mike Keown
i'm having a blast with the walrus kit. haven't found and external sinkmark and lots of space for super details. 1/48 is a great scale for that pretty faa bird.
The Fiat is an old Artiplast kit. Had one, know what you mean.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller