Spitfire F24

Can anyone help me with the two following problems

I am modelling a Mk24 Spitfire from Sqn80 at Kie Tak Hong Kong during the Korean War, the problems I have are these...

1) I have no pictures of any of the aircraft flying with ordinance such as bombs or rockets which would make a nice change from making a "clean" aircraft.

2) Assuming that photo proof of aircraft with ordinance exists, (preferable rockets), can anyone provide info on exactly where under the wings the mounting points are, I don't have exact info myself.

Thanks in advance

Alastair Macfarlane

Reply to
Alastair Macfarlane

There's a shot about half way down the page at

I don't believe it's a Mk24 but I'm a bit fuzzy on some the Spit marks. I found it doing a Google image search so you may want to go that route.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Thanks for the link, unfortunatly what you pointed me to was duering WWII and not what I was asking, however a couple of pages later there was a picture that is a big help.

Alastair Macfarlane

Reply to
Alastair Macfarlane

The 22 and 24 were almost identical on the outside. The 24 had extra fuel in the fuselage, so there might be another filler cap somewhere. Unlike the 22, the 24 had wing fittings for RPs. From phtos in Alfred Price's "The Spitfire Story," it looks like two sets of stubs under each wing (pp.238-9). Late production 24s had shorter-barreled cannon.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

(preferable

I have that Alfred Price book on the Spitfire. I have a couple of other shots from books, one showing Mk 24's in the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force in 1955, aircraft which they inherited from 80 Squadron when they converted on to Hornets. These have the stubs for RP's which I would imagine are very similar to the rockets used on Seafires. The other shot is of Southern Rhodesian Mk 22's with rockets in situ. You're welcome to scans of these, although I've never had great success with scanning screen printed shots from books/magazines.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P and H Macguire