Mosquitos 1/72

I like the Mosquito aircraft from WWII and model them in 1/72 scale, but have a question conserning the drift sight. In the Tamyia Kit there is a
clear part for this window and there are clear parts for the camera ports in the forward section of the bomb bay, I dont have a problem with this as I am going to make the PR version so I dont paint anly of the clar parts. I also have a Hasagawa kit of the BIV which does not have any clar parts for either the camera ports or the drift sight. I intend to model this kit as a night time bomber so the lack of glazing in the bombay door is not a problem, however (there is always a however) I have no idea if the drinf sight window was overpainted or not on the night bomber version or if I will have to open up and glaze the drift sight? Anyone out there able to throw some light on this? Thanks in advance Alastair Macfarlane
Whoa Nelly!
That's a really good question.
Some more info would prolly be needed. Could you provide specific units info and acft designation. (i.e. 633 sq. and BIV) that way we could try to research the question better.
but
I could not find any reference to units painting over the drift sight window BUT the B35 had a door over the interior window to either protect the mount or prevent light from being seen from the window. The drift window was a navigation aid so I don't think they would paint that over.
I was going to use the night bommer marking that came with both the Hasagawa kit and the Tamaya kit, they depict the same BIV for night bomming. The Squadron is 109 Squadron coded F - HS with the serial DK333. Thanks for the help so far and any further help Alastair Macfarlane
message

Alastair Macfarlane wrote:

Bomb bay doors: "Perspex windows for front cameras. May be Alclad disc when cameras are not carried" (what looks like copies of original drawings is the SAM Publications book by Richard Franks). So the glazed panels may or may not be there.
The entry door carries a port for the drift sight on all bomber/PR Mosquito pictures and plans I have seen. Franks book does show that there was a hinged cover on the inside panel. But the glazed port should still be there, just with an interior green cover on the inside :-). The drift sight is part of the navigation equipment, not weapon aiming, and the nav would need to use it with his charts to hand, next to his seat, not have to crawl into the nose.
You wnat 1/72 scale mosquitoes? Hell, up here in Minnestoa we got-em in 1/1 scale, and still big enough to warrant their own air traffic control!
Oh! Sorry, I thought you meant real ones. Never mind...
"What do you want you moon faced assasin of joy!" -Amb. Londo Molare
Drew Hill wrote:

You think _that's_ big?!?!
In Darwin they're so big that sometimes they land at the airport, and no-one realises until they've pumped 20,000kg of JetGas into them...
    Cheers,         Gary    B-)
When I was in Fairbanks AK. I witnessed one one swooping down and pluck a baby out of a stroller!
You can get little bear traps that actually work that you can bin on your shirt like a broach. They were called humane skeeter traps.

Doh! I gotta have one! Got a source? tia,
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Don't know of any online sources. They were selling them at that park just outside of town that was like an old west town.
It was in one of the gift shops. Right next to the earring's made out of dried moose droppings! LOL!

anyone read bader's account of a dogfight with a fly? during the bob.

control!
I've heard about two Marines chatting on Guadalcanal:
- Last night two mosquitos landed on my chest. One looked onto my dog-tag and said: "Hell, again one with O blood group...let's find someone with B!"
- That must be the one who landed on Henderson Field. They filled him with bombs and fuel and only then found out it's not B-17.
Terminator
"I'll be back..."
"Gary R. Schmidt" wrote:

    That sounds suspiciously like the story an old U.S. Marine used to tell about the mosquitos on Guadalcanal. :-)
                            Bill Shuey
William H. Shuey wrote:

I'm sure that it pre-dates WWII by quite some time, in fact I suspect that the first time some string and canvas jobbie landed in a known mosquito area someone came up with the gag!
Are/were there large mosquitoes near Kittyhawk?
Or how about when Bleriot first landed in the Camargue? (Assuming, of course, that he did)
    Cheers,         Gary    B-)
Went TDY to Cold Lake once. Got woke up one night by two of them talking. They were trying to decide whether to eat me there or take me with them for later. They decided to eat me there, because if they took me with them, the big ones would take me away from them. So I shot them. Steve
Drew Hill wrote:

--
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Lazarus Long