Spraypainting models

what to people find is the best spray paint to use when respraying models, enamel or acrylic paint.

The models im spraying are a few diecast fire engine models that im respraying them to the livery of my local fire brigade.

all of them ill bee stripping the existing paint off, but im not sure what would be best to use out of enamel and acrylic.

tia.

Reply to
Spinal

Best would be to use automotive lacquer over a primer, I guess. Metal is notorious for modelpaint poorly adhering to it.

HTH

-- David Miller

"There are no average pilots in the Israeli Airforce."

Reply to
BlueFalcon47

When I repaint diecasts, I strip the factory paint off with "aircraft grade paint stripper", which is formulated for use on non-ferrous metals. With rubber gloves, and eye protection (required, please!) this will strip the original paint off in mere minutes.

I use an automotive "self-etching" primer by airbrush, as this eliminates any problem of the paint not sticking.

After polishing out the primer (I use 3003-grit or finer abrasive cloth, wet), then spray the final finish with automotive acrylic lacquer, which with a bit of polishing, results in a very nice finish.

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944