Starfix Vs Lindberg Vs Hawk

ok which one would you prefer to be stuck on a desert island with a case of? You only get to bring one dull x acto knife,a tube of testors glue and an assortment of the old small square bottles of paint in generic colors...and who can still turn out a contest winner?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Ok - I'm assuming you mean the Hawk and Lindberg I knew as a child - in the old stone age - I don't know Starfix. Anyway back then Lindberg was clearly head and shoulders above Hawk. Hawk plastic was sort of brittle - and some of their subjects, let alone interpretation left much to be desired. I remember a four stage rocket - they included passengers from an airline kit waiting to board - AND the satellite it was actually launching - a disconnection only Trumpeter could stand up to today. Anyway Lindberg had some good kits. The plastic was a bit thick and the fit left a little to be desired, but overall I have positive memories of Lindberg. I can probably name a few kits like the LST, and Essex class carrier with cardboard hanger deck that at the time were true treasures.

So - given it's the paints and glue of the time - LINDBERG.

Val Kraut

colors...and who

Reply to
Val Kraut

What? No Aurora?? :-)

Bill Shuey

Eyeball2002308 wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

You would probably sell them on ebay ;-)

Reply to
Michael Stanley

Actually I have built planes from all 3...I actually like Lindberg and Hawk (nostalgia rules) ,just can't understand why they waste plastic to make starfix

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Lindberg had some interesting kits, I'll grant you, and without proper references, would I even know the difference in terms of inaccuracies? However, I'd be wanting something that would really interest me, and the one subject I can think of from either Hawk or Lindberg that would give me the most enjoyment would be the big Lysander kit. Make it aluminum plated {!} and that would be even better. In fact, any of the plated kits would be cool.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Starfix kits were breathtakingly bad. Absolutely unsalvageable. GPO

Reply to
GERYO

Now that I think back on it a little more - the first kit I built was (I believe I'm right on this) a Hawk Thunderbolt. It was a Christmas gift from our Cub Scout Den Mother. That got my interest going. Then I discovered Aurora - bought them in a woolwoth's 5&10 in Jamaica -Long Island NY. And at the same time discovered PLA paints - now testors. Thick shiny - but to me in grade school - OK. They were molded in color - the Messerschmidt was red, the FW-190 Black, the P-36 Blue. Rivet details consisted of boiler maker rivets that would scale out at about 2 inches across. The pilot was a head molded on the top of the cockpit enclosure. A local store, Maze, started handling models - and a hobbists was born. They were fun days. The Lindberg and Hawk stuff was a bit better. The kid who lived in the house behind ours on the next block built Frog kits - good subjects - dull grey plastic - good piolts - but you had to go to Hempstead to get those.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

I would agree with the exception of their 1/72 Sikorsky HH-3, which isn't too bad.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

It would be a tough call between Lindberg and Hawk. Hawk had some beautiful 1/48 kits but Lindberg had variety. A lot of the stuff they made has never appeared in anyone else's lists. I'm leaning more toward Lindberg. Oh, and make my tiny paint bottles Pactra thanks.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Is this a crappy kit comparison? Well if I were to be stuck on that Island with a case of any single plane I would go for the Hawk 1/4 scale P-51D. Think what you will but it is an accurately shaped kit. Yes it has no wheel wells or cockpit but when was this tooled? Mid sixties? I dare anyone to take a Hawk/Testors P-51D fuselage half and hold it next to a 1/48 Hasegawa P-51D fuselage half. You may just go hmmm.... Cheers, Max Bryant

colors...and who

Reply to
Max Bryant

I couldn't agree more, and it's still got the best prop available in kit form....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Is the Hawk P-51 the same kit that's in the Testors box now? BTW as for pactra paints...a local antique store has two packages of the hot rod assortment...most of the bottles appear to still be liquid mmmmmmmm

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Yes, but the Testors release is starting to get a bit shabby - they really need to refurbish that tool. Better to find an original Hawk or early Testors boxing.

Good eBay fodder if the price is right.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I think they want 12 dollars each,the package looks good and all the colors are there. They also have a couple of the small,box scale aurora kits.A F-104 and I think an F-105(?),plus several old UPC kits.$10 each but they are taped in sandwhich wrap,so I'm not sure what you'd be getting.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

these are the small square bottles with the design in the side...I havent even seen them in @15 years

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

I have a set of the Pactra paints I got as a set of military colors. I haven't a freaking clue as to hold they are but they could go back to my teen years. Some of the bottles are shot but I used one not long ago.

Reply to
Gray Ghost