Taveling With Models to IPMS NATS Show ??

Hi All,

I am going the IPMS National model show and contest for the first time in about a month. I plan on bringing 2 models with me. I am going to be traveling by plane. One of my models is small and will easily fit in to a carry-on bag. The other model is quite large and will need to be put in to a box. What is the norm....shipping a model of this size via UPS to the hotel or UPS store or post office....or is it better to just put the boxed model in with my luggage in the plane....

Thanks

Stretch_5

Reply to
Stretch_5

For small-to-medium sized models; try one of those hard plastic "RubberMaid-ish" file folder boxes, with the hinged lid.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Stretch_5 wrote: : : I am going the IPMS National model show and contest for the first time : in about a month. I plan on bringing 2 models with me. : : The other model is quite large and will need to be put : in to a box. : If you are going to ship it, I would recommend that it not arrive at the hotel until you are checked in, and the hotel knows to be on the lookout for the package.

I don't think I would have it delivered to a UPS Store/ Kinkos/etc, because you never know how often it will be kicked or tossed out of the way.

Contacting Patrick Cook, the Hospitality Coordinator for the show may be worth while to see what he recommends.

Regardless, a fellow club member that builds on commission swears by a sealable plastic bag to enclose the model, and any parts that may get seperated, then placing the bagged model in a large box full of plastic grocery bags that have been loosely crumpled. The key is plenty of space for the model to move, and not hit anything, or be hit by anything, which rules out peanuts, since they allow everything to settle.

Also, it has to be a good box, since a wimpy box that folds under pressure isn't a good thing either.

Make sure to bring a model first aid kit, so you can repair any damage...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Tow it - like a glider!

Reply to
Martin

I would definitely NOT let it get loaded into the plane. If you've ever the news you are liable to see them -Hurling- your prize model up into a cargo bin. Putting sheet foam inside the box first seems to be a great idea. Then pack it in a plastic bag and crumpled plastic and paper and peanuts and stuff, so there is no shifting.

Just a thought here , I would call Fed-Ex and see about them have it to the Hotel around you check in time and advise the manager to be on the look out for it from them. I would also let them know you've packed in the box and where it going and why , maybe then the driver will be even more careful with his cargo.

Just a couple thoughts I hope will help

... Carl ..........

The RAMA LAMAS will Rule the Universe .

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

A brief look into what is really me
Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"

cyberborg 4000