Thank God!

That is correct. However, if that 269-269 tie had materialized, another monkey wrench would have been introduced. One of the WV electors, had already said, that in such a situation, he would go against his state, and cast his vote for Mr. Kerry. Disappointing, but again, within the Constitution, as the electors are under no legal obligation to vote the way their state voted. This has happened before, most notably in the election of Rutherford Hayes, in which, I believe, *several* electors went against their states' citizenry.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I'll bid 50 cents. with a bid that much over retail value, I'm sure to be the high bidder. ;~)

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

Well said!

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

in article V4did.16393$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, Greg Heilers at snipped-for-privacy@earthNOSPAMlink.net wrote on 11/3/04 5:37 PM:

Actually, it was 1954, the year I graduated from high school, that the reference "Under God" was added to the pledge. The pledge inself was written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy.

Use of the motto does not appear to be consistent. Don't know about paper money. The 1909 Lincoln cent was the first penny to have the "In God We Trust" motto but it had appeared on other coins earlier. I know the Barber quarter had it in 1989.

And no, I wasn't there.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

So.....let's see now. How long is the line for people who want to immigrate to the Netherlands?

Ed

Not Fonda Kerry

Reply to
RobbelothE

Al,

If I may differ slightly with your assessment. I think it would work better if you had to prove you paid taxes in order to vote. IIRC, in the early years, you had to own a certain amount of land before you qualified to vote.

Speaking of taxes, maybe now we can send the IRS packing and get something more reasonable and equitable.

Ed

Not Fonda Kerry

Reply to
RobbelothE

... after all, EVERYONE believes the exact same thing here, right?

Reply to
EGMcCann

Or just stayed out of most of the political BS as it is, such as me.

It matters a great deal. I'm already practicing saying "Do you want fries with that" to be part of his "economic recovery."

Then why elect someone so *non* conservative as Bush? Where's the fiscal responsibility and smaller government?

Reply to
EGMcCann

I thought you said God *helped* us.

Reply to
EGMcCann

I remember my first first experience of chills down the back.

During air raid drills we were to walk wth our class a couple of blocks to the main street in town where busses were to pick us up and go wherever.

North of here was Hamilton AFB, a fighter base, so we were used to seeing fighters overhead, but on this day we were treated to an overflight of B-36s. I don't remember how many there were, but it certainly got our attention.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I got asked offline what a "step climb" was, so here goes the attempt........

You take off a maximum gross weight, climb on course to a planned altitude, cruise where you burn off fuel at a fuel efficient cruise speed, until you get light enough to climb some more without excessive power, repeat as necessary until you get to the final planned cruise altitiude for maximum fuel efficiency, ergo maximum range. Boring as heck except for the flight engineer and the navigator (different winds at different altitudes), who have to work a bit harder.

Now with that information and a few sheckels you can buy another kit for the collection.

Oxmoron1 MFE Lost for hours on end in C-124, C-97, B/RB-57, RF-4, T-29, A-3, B/RB-47, Piper Cub, Luscombe

Contrary to some opinions, not a crew member on the Wright Flyer or the NC-4!

Reply to
OXMORON1

No argument there...but the "fiscal" stuff is the responsibility of the Legislative Branch. I would probably consider myself to be heavily leaning Libertarian; but the current national Libertarian Party, has pretty much surrendered and ignored the concept of "national security".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Admittedly, when possible, I vote for third parties. Not that I think Nader (in 2000,) the Greens, Libertarians, or Constitution parties have any real hope of making a dent against the Republocrats, but just to lay the groundwork for a third party with real hope of changing the political landscape. Didn't do it this year, because I honestly think (a) GWB is a threat to the nation and (b) he didn't deserve to be rewarded for doing a bad job. Won't do it next time, most likely, to try to limit what he might try in his lame duck years. Next presidential election... depends on who's running.

In any case, I doubt most of my ideas (as far as government) would last long - like each bill standing on its own (no "riiders" or "deals" to add pork to otherwise worthwhile bills,) limited line item vetos (yeah, budgets would never get approved.)

Reply to
EGMcCann

well *most* of us believe in modeling

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

"John Magne Stubsveen" wrote

Har-de-har-har.

I especially like his other auction: Bruce Springsteen's Ego.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

The Australian re-election or the Liberal/National Coalition was more or less due to clever campaigning about interest rates. It was however of some significance that the losing Labour party wanted to have our troops return by Christmas. They're role at the moment is more of protection of Australians in Iraq so to have them return home was simply stupid when other areas of the armed forces, namely ships, would remain in the Gulf.

Our Prime Minister, who himself calims to be a centre rightist, cops a lot of flak because of his support of Bush particularly when a lot of Australians are suspicious of Bush's right wing Christian reasoning.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Although there is no God, I agree with your sentiments.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Amen.

Reply to
Rufus

If you actually believe that...

Reply to
Rufus

..."and to the Republic, for which it stands"...

As I recall, it was Eisenhower that added "under God" to the Pledge. And the reason might well have been to distingush ourselves in the USA from the "Godless communists" of the emerging Soviet block and Cold War era, given what a teacher in a high school poly-sci class once put before the class.

The teacher's proposition was that philosophically speaking, religion (and Christian religion in particular) is at odds with the communist state view in that it foists the precept that man is somehow inherenty "sinful" and in need of redemption; whereas communism is founded upon the principle that man is inherently good and pure, and left to it's own collective (nice communist word, eh?...) devices will work for the common good.

Therefore in the philosophical eyes of the state, religion must be banned in order for the state to exist under the precepts of communist philosophy....hence "Godless communists", and possibly Ike's reaction by adding "under God" to the Pledge.

...just a theory based on a memory from high school poly-sci.

Reply to
Rufus