Thank God!

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Al Superczynski) wrote in :

That they were the founding fathers doesn't make them infallible or prescient. 200 years on, the situation is a bit different, and the US voting system has one level of indirection too many.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Woodier) wrote in :

US foreign policy being what it is, the outcome of your election does have at least some bearing on me.

The US government has been known to have concerns about other countries' methods of choosing leaders. At the same time, it prides itself on its own methods, when they are known to be flawed, second-rate, even. Pointing out those flaws may not help much, but then why bother discussing politics at all?

Reply to
Harro de Jong

I wholeheartedly disagree as apparently we're stuck with GeeDubyah and his Saudi buds ruling this country for another four years.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

Actually, I was hoping for the Electoral College tie. Perhaps, if we had to go through that...the populace would *finally* catch on, that it is *not* the popular vote that determines the outcome of the Presidential election.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

What is *really* cool is this map:

And also note, this shows the results based on counties where the margin of victory was 5% or better (i.e. no "close" areas).

Amazing!!

Reply to
Greg Heilers

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Woodier)

I feel compelled to add some slight explanation of my use of "democracy" in my earlier post so as to avoid confusion or misunderstanding.

In common usage, the rights and freedoms we possess and try to instill in others have been equated to a "pinnacle of democracy" and that term has become an accepted description of America. However, as Al and Ron (and probably others) have already informed you, the United States is, in actuality, a representative Republic as our Pledge of allegiance states: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands; one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Woodier) wrote in :

That still doesn't explain why you would want a voting system where a candidate can lose the popular vote and still win the election.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

It is actually quite simple, as well as elegant. Individual states, as an "entity", actually means something. Our Congress is also

*not* proportioned solely on population (i.e., The Senate). Remember, the term "United States" was originally though of in the plural, *not* singular. Being a Texan, a Georgian, a New Yorker, etc., *means* a great deal, culturally, and politically. Removing the system of the Electoral College, would eliminate the power of the individual states. Note that the state of Colorado had a ballot initiative this time, to eliminate their strict adherence to the Electoral College system, and award their Electors based on the popular vote. This initiative was defeated by a *huge* margin. The the people of Colorado... *being* a citizen of Colorado *means* something in the Presidential election.
Reply to
Greg Heilers

Because this administration has played fast and loose with due process and international law as demonstrated by the "Patriot" Act, the indefinite interments in Guantanamo, and the Iraq prisoner abuse scandal.

---Scott

AM wrote:

Reply to
Scott Nagle

Reply to
David

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com, Bill Woodier at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 3/11/04 15:43:

Just out of intrest , is there an athiest version of your pledge, one without a mention af a god?.

Rory Manton ( in Good Old Blighty)

It's Not Pink It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton

Thank God indeed.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

in article BDAECB03.2EE33% snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk, Rory Manton at snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk wrote on 11/3/04 12:51 PM:

Never thought about it. Actually, when I learned the pledge (and we recited it every morning in grade school) there was no mention of God. That phrase was added sometime in the 1950s due primarily to the threatening and godless "red menace."

And odd as my seem, the pledge was not written specifically for the USA but for all Republics and the country of preference could be inserted. If memory serves, it was aimed at Latin American republics.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

The man who won the election last night, in the end may find that he won the popular vote 30 times last night, to Senator Kerry's 20.

Does this help?

WmB

WmB

I hadn't seen this, thanks. I see why Carville and Begala were nodding their heads in recognition of the stunning southern defeat. I thought Kerry would have more wind at his back with the war issue but it really looks like Gore has the bragging rights between the two in Dixie votes.

Amazing results. Who's giving odds the next Dem candidate for president is a southerner? ;-)

WmB

WmB

Actually, the words "under god" were only added in 1954. Considering the Nation survived just fine for 175 years without them I wonder if adding them was worth the acrimony it has created?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Hhhmmm! Hiliary is from where??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Ahhh, the good old days... real political conventions, real races, real TV, real radio, real modelers, banana oil, balsa wood, jap tissue, B-36s droning overhead at night climbing out from Carswell AFB heading for the pole (North not the political "poll") "Duck and cover"... Joe McCarthy not Vess.

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

Harro questioned:

Hey, the system worked this time as it has in "most" instances. The electorial college prevents highly populated areas from lording it over the balance of the country.

Rick MFE Middle of the country

Reply to
OXMORON1

well,considering the voting size of RMS,if Vess couldn't do it Moore never had a chance

Reply to
Eyeball2002308