Re: Thank God! ...a longish comment

I seem to remember that, in the first couple years of elementary school we said the Pledge of Allegiance without the "under God" phrase. And you're absolutely right, Al; if someone is troubled by the phrase "under God, they just don't say that part.

Let me take this even a bit farther. It saddens me that no one seems to feel it's important to say the Pledge in school, or most anywhere else for that matter anymore (except, perhaps Veterans organization rallies and reunions). I realize there are a lot of non-citizens attending our schools now and that was not the case in the mid 1950s. However, as with the "under God" phrase, non-citizens need not say the Pledge if they so choose.

I am an American citizen; I owe my allegiance to the United States of America and I am not ashamed or embarrassed to pledge that allegiance. American citizens - all American citizens - should be willing and honored to pledge their allegiance to their country, a country that has given them the freedoms they enjoy on a daily basis.

My feeling is that, if a person does not bear an allegiance to his country, and is not willing to profess that allegiance, perhaps he/she should look for another country or nation-state that he/she is willing to swear allegiance to.

I realize this is a radical idea in this day of "me first" and wanting everything but not wanting any associated obligations and it will open me to flaming, scorn, and ridicule by some here but I don't care. As I said above, I'm not ashamed of my feelings for my country and not ashamed to express them. I guess my parents really screwed up by bringing me up with a set of old-fashioned values, an intense sense of patriotism - a love for my country and what it stands for, and a willingness to defend what she stands for with my own blood if necessary. I freely admit that each time the American Flag passes by if I am in uniform, I render a sharp hand salute and if in civilian attire, I place my hand over my heart. And I also am not ashamed to admit that my eyes get moist as well. With apology to Lee Greenwood, I love this land I'm living' in; God bless the USA.

My 50 cents worth.

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

Well said.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com, Bill Woodier at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 4/11/04 14:29:

I wasn't being rude or anything with my question it's just that ,as an athiest, I have run into problems with this in the UK and was wondering if it was the only pledge that is acceptable. Whilst in The Mob ( HMForces Army) I was actualy thretened with a courtmarshal over the fact that I refused to sign a document I knew to be incorrect, it had me down as CoE (which I found offencive on two counts as I am a Scot). If this threat would actualy be carried out I doubt but as a sprog was still enough to cause a fue gray hairs!!!

Rory Manton

It's Not Pink It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton

(Mr. Woodier wrote of showing pride and respect toward our nation.)

I saw this yesterday, and it pretty much sums it up:

In London's Daily Telegraph, Janet Daley reflects on Bush-hatred as an expression of European anti-Americanism:

He is hated because he is the embodiment of everything that the United States is, and Europe is not: not just enormously powerful, militarily and economically, but brashly confident and fervently patriotic. Where Europe is steeped in historical guilt and self-loathing-- so immersed in its own unforgivable past that it is trying to fashion a constitution that actually prohibits national pride--America is profoundly proud of the success of its own miraculous achievement.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I know. I hope my reply was helpful.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Hear, hear! Well said, Bill.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

...hmmmn...maybe someone DOES get it...

Reply to
Rufus

The way I feel about it is that if Europe fifty years down the line should become one big Balkanised mess, it will chiefly be because our politicians have worked so damn hard to make it happen. :-(

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

"John Magne Stubsveen" wrote

Whaddaya mean "if" they become a balkanized mess?

1900: 20 European countries 2000: 37 European countries

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I wrote a paper to that effect in my Masters program (although I compared the EU to the Austro-Hungarian Empire). The EU people with whom I spoke hated it, but I got an A for it from the prof (an Irishman in fact).

Reply to
SamVanga