madness

Much has been said before about ebay but even basic intelligence suggests checking out new prices! A copy of PK's Stationary Engine Review currently stands at £28 whilst Amazon have it new for £6. Durr!! ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Ooops. Egg on face. Its the Path to door which stands at £28 and looks to be out of print. However the last copy of SER sold on Ebay went near £15 IIRC. hides Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland,

"The complete Petter History by Gibbons 1995" is currently standing at £28, is that available anywhere else for less?

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Roland Cynicism, paranoia and disbelief comes with old age, you just seem to have got there a little later than the rest of us. If somebody is daft enough to pay over the odds then let him. All the better for us. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I gave up all three along with paid work. I suspect a connection:-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland,

your last comment suggests you still suffer because it hides in your mind and festers as you get older, you may also have noticed that there are many of us who also suffer in silence and to obtain a cure you must watch "Grumpy Old Men" on a Friday night on BBC2 because this has brought the disease out into the open and made it official. Come out and embrace the world you don't have to hide any more :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

The only thing festering is a bit of swarf under my thumbnail :-) and I freely confess to being a grumpy old man. Having watched the programmes I have not disagreed with a word but doubt that Tonee Blah will take any notice. Bah Humbug.... Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Don't you feel better now that it is out in the open :-)) No more pretending all is right with the world. We can all Grump together :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Re History of Petter --

There was a copy on eBay a couple of days ago at around £14. Not sure if it is still there -- I bought my copy at Sodbury last year for £15.

BTW, I went to the London Book Fair in March this year, as I was wondering whether to deal in books as semi-retirement interest. Not much transport stuff about, so decided not to. Was offered 400 copies of Stationary Engine Review to clear the wholesalers stock. £2 a copy, or £750 in hard cash ....

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Whilst we are on about books, my mate just found me a Stanley catalogue from (I'd judge) the 1930-40's.

Theodolites, compasses, drawing office equipment.

A great loo book!

Off to the Anson now..............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

If somebody is daft enough to

There is a story about this!

Everything on the pinball newsgroup used to be reasonably priced until the days of EPAY madness came in. A not very rare game went for way, way over the top. Soon more went that way, parts too. People in the newsgroup laughed at the prices, much as we have in this thread. HOWEVER, the sensible people that would not pay the new high prices did not, but eventually had to as the "cheap parts to be had" virtually dried up. Now, I prefer to sell something to a friend for no profit, but if I was in this for the money would I sell it to you for £25, or put it on ebay as rare and possibly get £125?

As long as overpriced parts and engines do not sell, the hobby will stay affordable to us all (although there will always be somebody willing to pay over the odds.)

Sorry for the length of this post, but I have seen 3 or 4 Pinballs, the same as one I bought for £120 in good condition 3 years ago, go on ebay for $1500-$1600 and some parts go through the roof! This has put a lot off restoring them as the cost is so much now.

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

The same thing happened with classic car prices in early 1990's. Then the stock market crashed and all those overpriced cars dropped to realistic levels again. The "real" enthusiast watched it all with amusement as the price of their cars rose and fell. The long term losers were the stockbroker gamblers who had no interest in the commodity but only wanted a quick profit. Lets hope that long term sense will prevail. Failing that, does anyone want to buy a Petter A? Lets start at £1000 shall we.

John

Reply to
John Manders