Lister D wanted

Hey there Guys, I have been asked to try to locate a Lister d type engine, preferably one that is all there, but could do with some "touching up". It is a Birthday present for my 16 year old Nephew and we had one sorted, but got let down. I am in Essex, but would travel to find a suitable engine - I have looked on e-bay but prices seem to be very unstable. Any advice would be great - many thanks - Alex

Marks Tey Radio - First in the field...last to leave

Reply to
Alex

Prices of Lister D's are 'unstable' wherever you look. I recently sold a basket case (all there though) for £10, which was £10 more than I paid for it (ooh er, I must be a dealer!) while good ones can fetch over £100. Perhaps somebody else on this NG has one lurking under the bench, but ebay is probably as good a place as any to shop if you are comfortable with buying sight unseen, also try local free ads papers and agricultural auctions, maybe even buy a copy of Stationary Engine Magazine, or at least stand in Smiths and look through the ads! Decide how much work you want to do and what you want to pay, there are usually enough around to be choosy, but make sure it is complete and that the mag works, having to source parts or rebuilding a mag can quickly push costs well beyond the value of a fully restored engine.

While you are at it get the lad a years subscription to SEM as well (sorry Kurt) - that should ensure he is hooked for life ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

worth a look:-

Nick H

Hi Alex

This is on ebay at the moment and is in Essex

May be of interest.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

Don't know where in the country you are but around this time of year a number of shows have auctions. One of the larger ones is at Honiton Hill on August bank holiday. There are generally a few Lister D's there in various conditions. Prices vary quite a lot but drop later in the day. £40 seems about the going rate for a complete but scruffy example. Another possibility is the Great Dorset Steam Fair. There are a number of engines on the traders section. Don't be afraid to haggle either. As that show is near the end of the season, prices tend to drop as the show nears it's end. The GDSF is just after HH and it's amazing how much stuff is sold at the auction only to re-appear in the traders arrea at GDSF.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Many thanks to those who took the time to answer my questions, It looks like I have found a suitable engine, for a reasonable price. Just looking forward to seeing my Nephews face on his birthday when he unwraps the "package". Thanks again - Alex

Reply to
Alex