Lister D - Help & Information - Please

I have just collected a Lister D that has been used to power a saw bench until a few years ago. Almost everything looks to be present and I have high hopes for a full restoration, but, having looked through several publications I cannot find this model. The engine number is 114134 - which places it at January 1935 (D.W.Edgington - 1984) The SPEC is 105 / 3R and it is shown as producing 3HP at 1350RPM The cylinder head is stamped 105 / 309 There are several odd things about this machine. First, the fuel tank is resting on brackets mounted very high up on the cylinder head -- above the spark plug, which is well set back into the head. Second, the carburettor is on one side of the head, the exhaust on the other. Third, there are traces of light blue paint around the fuel tank, the cover holding the brass plates and both the rocker cover and water jacket cover. I thought that the Lister D's were governed to 700 or 1000 RPM producing 1.5 or 2 HP.I also thought that all of the D's had the inlet and exhaust side by side? Finally, did Listers ever use anything other than Mid-Brunswick Green? Can anyone give me any information about this engine to answer some of my questions? Rolly

Reply to
RollysListerD

Sounds to me like you have a Lister F, the much less common high speed derivative of the D with Alu piston. I have a manual somewhere but can't find it at the moment. The clicher would be the magneto position and drive. Most makers supplied engines to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) who finished them in their own colours. Blue may have been the colour of the sawbench? hth

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

While looking for something else, I came across David Edgington's "Know your Lister F Type" booklet. This confirms that spec 105/3R refers not only to a fairly early F type, but a reverse rotation one at that. So probably something of a rarity. An SAE to David at the address given in SEM should reveal precise details, including original customer.

Now where the heck is that Villiers book?!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Still can't find the Villiers book, so I sat down to read 'Know your F'. The 'R' in the spec could it seems equally refer to radiator cooling.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Thanks for the information The machine is a reverse rotation model -- and also radiator cooled, but the radiator has been replaced with a radiator sized tank! I sent an email to David Edgington yesterday seeking to purchase a copy of "Know your F" after reading the response from Roland & Celia Craven. Incidentally, it has an RS1 magneto - shaft driven.

All of a sudden, I've got the stationary engine bug! The first machine is a hopper cooled 'D', seized solid, a definate restoration project. The second machine - bought as a 'D' turns out to be an 'F'. ------ I've got the start of a collection!

Cheers for now.

Reply to
Rolly Bastian