Strange Drill Press

Never seen one of these:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/4961360603.html
Anyone know the model number or specs? Price seems ok.
TIA

Both well known brands if I were closer I'd buy them both at that price!

Grizzly is pretty common - I think they were originally Indian imports, but now mostly Chinese or Taiwanese - but pretty decent tools.
I'm not familliar with the Powermatic brand, but it appears it comes in as a "semi-assembled kit", that can usually be made into a decent woodworking tool with some effort. Doesn't look like a good choice for a machine shop environment from what I've seen on the 'net.
without a load.
http://content.powermatic.com/assets/manuals/1792800B_man_EN.pdf
Best Regards Tom.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Grizzly are re-badged imports. Usually decent stuff. Powermatic is an old name in woodworking equipment. They are now under the same company who owns Jet tools.
--
Steve W.

In other words, semi assembled Chinese kits.
On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 11:30:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly. And that's not a bad thing. My Griz 18" bandsaur came in 3 boxes. One contained the stand, another the main saw portion, and the motor was in its own box. It took about an hour to assemble and semi-calibrate it.
I later removed the standard belt and put on a linkbelt. It is much smoother and quieter now. And while assembling it, I lubed the threads and ran things through their whole range of motion, deburring as I went. Everything is now smooth and easy to work. No big.
--
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless,
but planning is indispensable. --Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

I work on the assumption the kit was partly assembled for ease of shipping. Strip it right down to "bare kit" and reassemble, doing whatever is required to make it right as you put it (back) together. This way you stand a pretty good chance of ending up with a decent machine. Just take it out of the box and "finish" assembling it and you stand a much better chance of having a miserable piece of crap to work with.
Maybe due to weight limits and common carriers. Easier and lower cost to ship by truck.
Shipping by ocean carrier it could be a Mac Truck.
Martin
On 4/3/2015 9:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 22:00:59 -0500, Martin Eastburn

You didn't catch what I was saying. I figure they put it partway together so they don't have to wrap all the bolts and bearings and shafts and pulleys separately, risking having parts get lost..

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 23:46:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And where on Earth would they find enough people capable of putting a box of discrete components together into a working machine? That little tidbit right there would limit sales immensely. The average Joe might be able to _use_ a machine, but 95% of them would be quite incapable of putting one together from individual parts.
--
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless,
but planning is indispensable. --Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 06:53:23 -0700, Larry Jaques

If you are going to actually USE the equipment you not only need to be able to assemble it, you need to be capable of dissassembling it the rest of the way first.
On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 17:52:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Agreed, that's the ideal way to go about it, but -most- people can (and do) use many facets of the machines without knowing how they work or how to go about repairing them. That's why you, Gunner, and I have made our livelihoods repairing others' machines of all sorts.
--
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless,
but planning is indispensable. --Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

It's an affliction. Visiting a mold shop some years ago, where they had around 10 new EDMs, I talked with the owner about EDM power supplies and how they work. The year before I had done some board-level repairs on a Sodick at the nuclear bomb-fuse plant in Rocky Flats, because our Japanese engineers weren't allowed in.
Anyway, the owner of that shop chuckled and said he really never bothered with how they work. I was appalled. Then he drove me to lunch in his new Mercedes 500 SE. Nice car. I drove home in my 10-year-old Mazda.
Gunner and Larry should have a personal appreciation of what that was all about.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 12:32:31 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Yes, that's all a part of the delegation of authority in the business world. Some owners see it all as a zero-sum game: the more you get your hands dirty, the more you neglect "ownership", boardroom or other "management" related duties.
(and vice versa)
On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 09:45:55 -0700 (PDT), walter snipped-for-privacy@post.com wrote:

It's economics. Why repair your equipment when you can hire a Larry or a Gunner, both of whom are content to drive pickup trucks rather than M-B 500-series?
--
Ed Huntress

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I work on the assumption that they are going to use grease and lubricants that were state of the art... 40 years ago!
I have a few tools from HF, first thing I do with them is to strip down any gearing, clean it out and lube with good grease and oil. Air tools get connected up to make sure they work then stripped, vanes checked and bores polished, replace any grease and lube with good oil. I do the same thing with many other brands as well. Allows you to check things over and gets you to a starting point for tool maintenance.
--
Steve W.

A few years ago I was looking online at home power generation, including growing plants to make oils from and then burning those oils in a Lister Diesel copy. I found a site that was importing these copies from India. On the site they warned against even turning the crankshaft once the engine arrives. They said the engine must be copmpletely disassembled, cleaned, sand removed from inside especially, deburred, and lubed before putting it all back together and starting for the first time. They had photos of the inside of some of the engines where the crankcase had been painted and the paint was holding big clumps of sand in place inside the crankcase. The importer sold gasket and bearing kits that it was wise to buy along with the new engine in order to replace the damaged ones that came with the engine. Especially the bearings because some of the engines were assembled with sand on the crank journals, which had become embedded in the bearings. Eric
On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 12:22:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Very common with Indian equipment -Chinese is getting better, but I've seen some really nasty stuff. You can generally at least double the life of a lot of their stuff by simply dissassembling, cleaning, lubricating and adjusting it before first use.

Did you buy one?