Strange Drill Press

Very common with Indian equipment -Chinese is getting better, but I've seen some really nasty stuff. You can generally at least double the life of a lot of their stuff by simply dissassembling, cleaning, lubricating and adjusting it before first use.

Reply to
clare

Did you buy one?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Try $1700. PM2800B is on sale right now for $1399 on Amazon. $1399 on E-bay too. $1462 at Toolbarn. Advertized as "US Made Tools" GotGreatTools has it for $1152.

Reply to
clare

Agreed, that's the ideal way to go about it, but -most- people can (and do) use many facets of the machines without knowing how they work or how to go about repairing them. That's why you, Gunner, and I have made our livelihoods repairing others' machines of all sorts.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's an affliction. Visiting a mold shop some years ago, where they had around 10 new EDMs, I talked with the owner about EDM power supplies and how they work. The year before I had done some board-level repairs on a Sodick at the nuclear bomb-fuse plant in Rocky Flats, because our Japanese engineers weren't allowed in.

Anyway, the owner of that shop chuckled and said he really never bothered with how they work. I was appalled. Then he drove me to lunch in his new Mercedes 500 SE. Nice car. I drove home in my 10-year-old Mazda.

Gunner and Larry should have a personal appreciation of what that was all about.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, that's all a part of the delegation of authority in the business world. Some owners see it all as a zero-sum game: the more you get your hands dirty, the more you neglect "ownership", boardroom or other "management" related duties.

(and vice versa)

Reply to
walter_evening

It's economics. Why repair your equipment when you can hire a Larry or a Gunner, both of whom are content to drive pickup trucks rather than M-B 500-series?

Reply to
Ed Huntress