The rules...

Been there! Done that!!!!

Cor! And I thought *I* was bad with 100 kits in my Main Stash...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

...that's why I try to only stash subjects, and not kits. If I find wht I think is a better kit of the same subject I sell or trade off the old one immediately.

Somehow I managed to break my own "no more than 100 unbuilt kits" rule some years ago...I think I may have 200 now, but I stopped counting just past 100...I couldn't take it...

Reply to
Rufus

You're making it harder than it already is.

....finishing every project you start squelches the creative juices.

...What? No juggling of projects or trying to remember what you were doing on which project? Modelbuilding is also my business. If I only worked on one project at a time, I'd starve to death!

....techniques are used or developed on an as needed basis. Intentionally use one 'new' technique per project? Uh-Uh!

...some modelers will never be able to build a decent vacuform kit, others have no interest in them. Why make yourself build something you hate? Unless you're being paid for it, of course.

Just relax and build whatever you like, whenever you like. Most of all, enjoy yourself. Don't make a job out of it. If I didn't enjoy modelbuilding, I wouldn't have made a business out of it. I wouldn't have taken it up as a hobby, either.

Richard Marmo

Richard Marmo

Sounds like a conversion to me, Frank.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Rules? What the heck for? At the risk of sounding sarcastic, this is a hobby, not a business. I build for fun, as many as I can start and finish whatever is there to finish, if not, it goes back in the box and if I remember that I have it, I take it back to the workbench and do something to it, then back to the box and the shelf. Let's not make this any more complicated than it isn't.

My 2 cents.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Add another one, if you run out of working space - build another workbench.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Well said!! We're in lockstep, Ray. Check my post (just above yours) and I think you'll find I said the same thing in a different way.

Richard Marmo

Richard Marmo

...been there, done that...twice. A hunks of countertop on a couple of moving boxes makes it too easy.

Reply to
Rufus

milk crates and "seconds" doors work well.

Reply to
someone

One way to always keep your workbench clear. Work on the kitchen table. If you don't clear it, someone will make you do it. :-)

Reply to
willshak

So does shopping at the weekly free garage sales (a.k.a. garbage days). Found a good shape work bench (had to put levelers one it to make it not wobble. cost from hardware store - $3.95), 2.5' x 3.5' layout table (courtesy of a departing college student) and several fine Sauder bookcases of various sizes (to house my reference books and magazine collection).

Reply to
The Old Man

That reminds me... I missed a SU-EET deal on a old 40's-50's vintage solid oak framed drafting table some years back...was from a local school that was clearing stuff out, I think. With a bit of stripping and refinishing it would have been a real heirloom piece. I could build one, but I'm still kicking myself...

Reply to
Rufus

sure, all great stuff. but one word of caution, put the sauder stuff where it can never catch on fire. ever. that stuff puts out some of the most toxic smoke possible when it burns. a fire guy told mw that many smoke deaths come from flake board and sauders is the worst. i threww out my one peice. plus it's weak, ugly and very heavy.

Reply to
someone

This stuff lives in my workshop, which in an earlier incarnation was my garage. (the joys of having children move back home!) When I am out there working, it's always with the main door wide open (to alleivate the paint odors). One thing I ~did~ do was to mount the shelves to the walls via lag screws, I've already had one of those units fall over because of a too-high center of gravity.

Reply to
The Old Man

One rule: NO RULES! Buy it if I've got the money and room. Build it whenever. Have a happy life. Cheers, The Keeper

Reply to
The Keeper