The rules...

So say we all.
This one I like!!!
As for my rules - If the kit is not in 1:32 don't buy it (Unless it's for my son). If you have two or more identical kits, they need to be converted og modified into something else, three Hawker Typhoons,one OOB, one with Paragon Bubble top and one backdated to Tornado, Three P-47 (Revell) one converted to N version with long wings etc..... Also after one of those series I often do one OOB,or even better, do a "What If" like X-1 fighter, Me 262 from Aeronavale Suez period.
And have fun doing it.
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

only one. have fun. stop when not.
snipped-for-privacy@cosgrove991.demon.co.uk says...

There's only one rule: have fun.
--
-sdg

"Un gromono, mon royaume pour un gromono!"
Eddie Bermuda wrote:

No. They'd just be one more thing I'd transgress.
For instance:

I wish but presently the majority of my collection is unfinished projects.

I tried sticking to the Rule of Three but then I started multiplying threes.

I do try new things but not that regularly.

I started messing with vacuforms back in the '70s when Rareplanes hit the market. I finally got one finished about 5 years ago and that was more of a conversion than a straight kitbuild. Currently I have an unfinished McDonnell FH-1 from Formaplane about halfway.

Do you feel pressed? If you're enjoying it, keep at it until you don't.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

I have a vac Beaufort in 1/48 form someone that I'd like to crossbreed with a Tamiya Beaufighter. What would that count as?
Frank

Gray Ghost wrote:

Sounds like a conversion to me, Frank.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Vac forms are great...I have a 1/144 Vulcan on the go and its the only way to get a 1/48 Scimitar until some-one sees sense and kits it as an injection moulded version.
More like "real" modelling...
Mad-Modeller wrote:

On May 26, 10:49 am, Eddie Bermuda

I only have one rule- if it stops being fun, put it on the shelf for awhile and build something else. Take the older kit down later.
Actually, I think I do have a second rule. When rigging model sailing ships, never work longer than half an hour without taking a break.
My rules:
1. If the wife interrupts me twice during one building session, I put everything away and devote full attention to the "honey do" list. "Resistance is futile." 2. If the dog crawls into my lap twice during one building session, I put everything away and devote full attention to the dog. 3. I collect Tamigawa kits and build dog kits - Smer, Hobbycraft, early Trumpeter, etc. 4. If I experience just the slightest twinge of AMS while building a kit, I give in and go whole hog on the detailing/conversion/research. 5. In the summer golf trumps model building; in winter model building trumps golf; unless I am invited quail hunting in which case quail hunting trumps both. 6. Lastly, not to croak before finishing all 300 kits in my stash.
Art

Art Murray wrote:

Been there! Done that!!!!

Cor! And I thought *I* was bad with 100 kits in my Main Stash...
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Enzo Matrix wrote:

...that's why I try to only stash subjects, and not kits. If I find wht I think is a better kit of the same subject I sell or trade off the old one immediately.
Somehow I managed to break my own "no more than 100 unbuilt kits" rule some years ago...I think I may have 200 now, but I stopped counting just past 100...I couldn't take it...
--
- Rufus

You're making it harder than it already is.
....finishing every project you start squelches the creative juices.
...What? No juggling of projects or trying to remember what you were doing on which project? Modelbuilding is also my business. If I only worked on one project at a time, I'd starve to death!
....techniques are used or developed on an as needed basis. Intentionally use one 'new' technique per project? Uh-Uh!
...some modelers will never be able to build a decent vacuform kit, others have no interest in them. Why make yourself build something you hate? Unless you're being paid for it, of course.
Just relax and build whatever you like, whenever you like. Most of all, enjoy yourself. Don't make a job out of it. If I didn't enjoy modelbuilding, I wouldn't have made a business out of it. I wouldn't have taken it up as a hobby, either.
Richard Marmo http://modelersweaponsshop.freeyellow.com/weathering_supplies.html
Eddie Bermuda wrote:

Rules? What the heck for? At the risk of sounding sarcastic, this is a hobby, not a business. I build for fun, as many as I can start and finish whatever is there to finish, if not, it goes back in the box and if I remember that I have it, I take it back to the workbench and do something to it, then back to the box and the shelf. Let's not make this any more complicated than it isn't.
My 2 cents.
Ray Austin, TX =
Well said!! We're in lockstep, Ray. Check my post (just above yours) and I think you'll find I said the same thing in a different way.
Richard Marmo http://modelersweaponsshop.freeyellow.com/weathering_supplies.html

Site Timeline