Tips for creating tentrolls, bags and such for armor models.

Hi all. I've found one brand of accessory stowage item sets for ww2 US and German armor, but even if I purchase all of them (4 in all) I'd like a bit more variety. I've come across a few interesting stories on how to make various items from scratch, but those were meant for 1/35. I'm working in 1/72, so would it be reasonable to use these same methods to create items for both scales? For an example, I read about using strips of cloth bandage and white glue to make bedrolls, tentrolls, and stuff. This was mentioned in a Verlinden diorama guide. Would the weave be too large for 1/72 proportion? If I must I'll just just the pre-made items I found for sale. They are resin pieces made by some company in Chechoslovakia. I found them listed at the Squadron Hobby website. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, thanks to everyone who suggested also looking at wargaming sites for items in this scale. I've discovered mountains more, and still searching. Regards,

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

ISTR in the 30-odd year old Monogram armor kits with the Shep Paine dio tips, the popular thing was tissue paper & white glue.

Reply to
famvburg

was, is, and still works Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

You can use the facial tissue and white glue tech or sculpt from epoxy putty. Check the photos at :

The bags hanging from the miner's mules are done with tissue n glue. The other photos show how I used Airfix/MPC 1/72 (HO) USAAF and NATO personell in a couple dios I did when I started building again( back in the early

80's)

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
CSRZ28

In the days when I used to make small scale armour, I found that surgical gauze was a good material for camouflage netting. Rolled up and tied with black thread, it absorbed thinned paint easily and looked OK. It was cheap and could be bought at the local chemist. Tissue paper from Kleenex worked well for bed rolls and tarpaulins. Pieces of balsa wood cut to length and wrapped in cartridge paper made cardboard cartons for stowage in vehicles like LRDG Chevvies. You might also look at accessories made for model railways and ships as a source. Fine chain sold for ship models made good towing chains in 1/76 and 1/72.

I hope this helps.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

if i can find some cheap web space, i think a cheap trick model site would be good. if you have a cheap trick, please post it and i will collect them. with proper credit to the poster.