UK - Tonight - In Search of Speed - BBC2 9pm

Hi all,

As title says 9pm BBC2,1hr programme on breaking the sound barrier from the heydays of post war air speed records.

Cheers, Stephen.

Reply to
SL

Good program! I enjoyed the old film of the X-planes. They still forget to mention that the "all flying" tailplane was a British idea though. I always wonder about the difference in achieving the sound barrier in a rocket aeroplane as opposed to an "air-breather" and at a lower altitude too.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Hi Les,

Yes it was good though I also thought they would have mentioned the blackbird and maybe even the foxbat.

Then again this series is only concerned with maximum speed only, not on normal jet engine max speeds.

Cheers, Stephen.

Reply to
SL

I liked the show, but it was the typical shallow-vision formula, with no background (how can you feature the Bell X-1 without acknowledging the Miles M.52 and it's flying tail as Les mentioned, for instance). And then we see 5 second glimpses of a full size wooden Gloster Meteor wind tunnel model, and you think wait! - there's a whole other show right there. Still - better than no aircraft shows on TV at all.

Reply to
Chek

Reply to
Les Pickstock