United States' "Early" type numbers?

Okay...

I _KNOW_ this stuff backwards and forwards, but in the last week or so I'm drawing a freaking blank... _WHAT_ are the type listed inthe 'early' numbers of the post 62 listings for fighters?

F-1 = ??? F-2 = F2Y1 Seadart F-3 = F3D Skyknight F-4 = F4H-1/F-110 Phantom II F-5 = F-5 Freedom Fighter F-6 = F4D Skyray F-7 = F7U Cutlass??? F-8 = F8U Crusader F-9 = ??? F-10 = ??? F-11 = ??? F-12 = YF-12 F-13 = ???

Any and all help appreciated. I'm going nutz not being able to find this stuff out onthe web. I __K_N_O_W__ I had it bookmarked a while back...

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

Al Superczynski

Love these fill in the blanks questions...they're easy:

F-1 North American Fury F-7 Convair Sea Dart F-9 Grumman Cougar F-10 Douglas Skyknight F-11 Grumman Tiger F-13 Not used

Reference: U.S. Military Aircraft Designations and Serials since 1962, Midland Counties Publications

Reply to
verne foss

So the Sea Dart was designated twice?

verne foss wrote:

Reply to
frank

Like New York? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

North American FJ "Fury"

Actually, McDonnell F2H "Banshee"

Actually McDonnell F3H "Demon"

The F-7 was the redesignation for the F2Y "Seadart". The F7U was no longer in service at the time of the 1962 redesignation and thus never received a new series number.

Grumman F9F "Cougar"

Douglas F3D "Sky Knight"

Grumman F11F "Tiger"

F-13 was never used - supersition perhaps?

Cheers and all,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Once. The F-2 was the former F2H Banshee while the Seadart received the F-7 designation (actually, YF-7A - there never was a F-7)

Cheers and all,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Is it a "Sky Knight", a "Skyknight" or a "Skynight"? I have seen all three!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I believe "Skyknight" (one word) is the officially correct designation.

"Sky Knight" was sloppiness on my part.

"Skynight" is clearly incorrect.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

That's what's more ironic (or moronic), the Sea Dart wasn't in service, (was it even flying in '62?). Was the Banshee still in service in '62?

The F-7 was the redesignation for the F2Y "Seadart". The F7U was no longer in service at the time of the 1962 redesignation and thus never received a new series number.

Bill Shatzer wrote:

Reply to
frank

No. It's something of a mystery as to why the Sea Dart received the new redesignation. Either someone thought the project might be resurrected or some GS-7 clerk in the Defense Department just screwed up.

No, but the last of the F2Hs had been retired from Navy Reserve service just the preceeding year and there were still quite a few in storage.

I suppose there was some possibility that they might be returned to active (or at least reserve) service in a national emergency.

-snip-

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Nah, the F-2 was the McDonnell F2H.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'd guess that some F2H-3s and -4s were in the Naval Reserve just as the F11Fs were which allowed them to become the F-11As

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller