VERY OT! (music recording question)

Guys, I know some of you are into re-recording LPs etc. I'm toying with the idea of digitising some of my Dad's old 33s onto CD for him - any hints,
relevant sites you can recommend etc. All constructive replies gratefully recieved.
RobG

Oops - contact me off-group if you prefer.
TIA
RobG

Hi Rob,
Most souncards will have a stereo mini-jack connector, and it's fairly easy to acquire a connecting cable with the mini-jack plug, and 2 phono sockets at the other end; this gets the sound into the PC. Once you've sorted the connections, you're half way there.
I'd recommend (having used it for many different audio edit jobs), "Magix Audio Cleaning Lab" software. This'll take off clicks, scratches and other extraneous noises with little effort. It's budget software and costs about GBP20 (say 6 beers ;) but works very well despite that.
It has an easy to use interface, with either auto or manual cleaning functions, together with a full audio editor if needed. Once you're satisfied with the startling clarity you've achieved, then the .wav files can be burnt to CD.
HTH Chek
Chek wrote: .

However, these connections are for line level or mike level inputs, not phono cartridge outputs. Best bet is to run input into high fi amp having phono inputs, take line level output from amp and run into sound card.

Thanks for pointing that out Don. Yes, I had meant that the phonos should be connected to the amp outputs - although there are some fancy pre-amp units out there for the seriously afflicted too.

Dick Smith sell a turnrable/pre-amp setup that isn't too shabby, but I'll stick with my Denon, I think. RobG

Thanks Don - will do.
RobG

    Already sorted - we're an electronic family. More conectors, test     leads, jumper cables, adapters, plugs and converters than you've ever     seen. (c: And my mo-bo has really good on-board sound.

    Do I need the 6 beers to access all the functions? (c;

    Ahh so. Thanks for the advice.
RobG
Free "clean up" software here:
www.audacity.sourceforge.net
I have converted quite a few cassettes and LP's with the software that came with my soundblaster card and this program.
--
M Stanley
Webmaster: Pelikan Model Club

Audacity is a great freeware program, but not something I'd recommend to a starter, in that the filters and plugins - while super in operation - aren't very intuitive to use. But nothing that's beyond the ken of a desperate man ;)

I isn't desperate... yet. But I'm sure I'll be able to work it all out - I'm not very intuitive, either. I'll have a look at both recommended programs.
RobG

email me for the beginners guide to digitizing vinyl. and other things....

Can't send you mail. I would have asked you for the guide too.
--
mvh Uffe

came
I'll third that! Audacity is a free power-tool. It may not be a no-brainer to use, but once you get it figured out it's amazing what you can do. I used it yesterday to put a soundtrack together for an old 8mm movie. Ten songs that fade one to the next. When I found that one didn't play well against the film I cut it out and spliced in another song in it's place. Took me an hour to pick out the songs, but five minutes to put it together.
Doug Wagner

yes, send them to me and i will do it. no charge for rms members.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote

You ever listened to Richard Tauber?
RobG

don't think so. nothing in the archives.

i emailed you. also send me a list of records in case i have or can get them. much is out there on cd and i have access.
RobG wrote:

Here's a fantastic FREE program to use for such:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net /
What I like about Audacity (besides the fact that it's FREE) is that it is also a waveform editor, will do multi-track recording, can use VST plug-ins, supports multiple audio formats (I'd recommend using .AIFF for your rips te get the best quality), and is hosted cross/multi-platform.
You'll need a way to get the signal from the turntable into your computer - but if you have an audio in on your machine, you're most of the way there. Just hook your preamp or receiver headphone out to your computer's audio in and route the signal.
--
- Rufus

Rob:
there's an excellent video walkthrough of converting vinyl to digital on CNet. And it's pretty much on the ball.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Turn_LPs_into_digital_media_files_Getting_started/4660-7899_7-6219275.html?tag=vid
Play the videos in this order: Getting Started Making Connections Adjust Volume Begin Recording.
One minute of true CD-quality stereo audio takes about 10MBs of hard drive space. (that's 420MBs for both sides of a 42min album) You should consider adding an additional hard drive if you're thinking multiple albums.
Capturing and digitally cleaning up (removing clicks, pops, and noise reduction) ripped vinyl tracks could tie up your computer extensively. And (IMHO) it's not one of those tasks that you can do while surfing in the background. Ideally, this is a task you can let a spare or older computer do.. even a Pentium III can handle the job with enough disk space (it just takes much longer to clean up tracks)
Record as hot (loud) as you can- that is as close to zero/red on the meters without going over.
Don't expect the moon. The minijack line input on most sound cards/computers isn't exactly the cleanest way to get audio into your computer- but it is the cheapest. A bad phono cartridge/stylus will make any recording problematic (and the low end practically non-existent) And sometimes there's dirt and crap in an LP's grooves that may prove impossible to clean out.
You can make great Vinyl "rips"...but for most people it's not worth the time and work involved.
Sat