VERY OT! (music recording question)

You may be overdriving your input - try dialing the volume out of your cassette deck back, and then boosting it on the computer side if needed; i.e. - balance the input. (Here's another plug for Audacity - it has both input and output VU meters...) Also check to see if you have the treble boosted.

You may also want to try different cables...cables "go bad" for no appearant reason around recording gear.

Also be sure you have the deck's noise reduction engaged on the deck for playback...

Reply to
Rufus

The problem with using speaker (i.e. headphone outputs) rather than a line output is not only that the signal level is too high, but also the impedance is too high. Reducing the signal level (i.e. output volume) doesn't address the 'hi Z' issue.

For best results, a filter commonly called a 'DI box' (for Direct Injection) is needed. An electronics whizz to put one together, or you could see if your local friendly neighbourhood group/band has one they can lend you, or a music store will sell a battery powered one fairly cheaply (about GBP30 - or 10 beers using my preferred universal currency translator).

Reply to
Chek

...or you can pick up a Griffin iMic and convert from the line/headphone signal to a USB input. I believe the iMic will buffer the signal to a reasonable level.

Rufus

In the old cassette days we used to record as hot as possible to increase the signal to noise ratio, as tape hiss was an ever-present annoyance. With a decent sound board the noise floor is so low as to effectively non-existent. I started recording with my PC using the old tapedeck sensibilities (drive 'er just short of clipping) and got some nasty sounding recordings. Now I keep 'er in the green, and if I find the recording is too low, I can increase the level in the digital domain with Audacity or another free program MP3Gain. fwiw

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

I've ran into that problem before trying to record into my Dell Inspiron 4000. Some laptop mic inputs are simply not true stereo line-ins. A correct stereo mini plug should have *two* rings- and I found that the mic-in on my notebook was set up for a single ring plug.

I could still record stereo into the computer, but it was dirty and noisy as all get out and proved to be unusuable.

Sat

Reply to
Sat

"e" skrev i en meddelelse news:sb2qf.18427$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.news.easynews.com...

Can't send you mail. I would have asked you for the guide too.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

One more argument for getting a Mac...presently waiting delivery of a new 15" BTO Powerbook. Which even has an optical audio in on it...which suprised even a die-hard Mac-addict like myself. Planning on making it a portable addition to my recording studio and guitar rig.

Reply to
Rufus