Vinyl figure help

I am working on the AMT/ERTL Darth Vader figure & it is about 13" tall. It is my first vinyl figure & is quite a change from what I am used to. Here is my (first) question. Around the edges of the cape/gown, there is a ridge. I have carved most of it off but it is still visible. I have tried sanding & filing but neither method works all that well. Is there a better way to do this or do I need to just resign myself to the fact that I will be spending hours removing this ridge?

Any tips for painting? Which primers or paints?

TIA

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Hub Plott III

Is the figure soft or hard vinyl? I've worked with figures done in both types. The vinyl can be carved with a X-Acto knife (use a very sharp new blade). I had luck grinding ridges off of hard vinyl with a Dremel tool and a steel cutter head, though you have to be careful not to cut away something you don't want to remove. As far as filling goes, after washing the figure with warm soapy water to get any mold release agent off of it, rinsing it thoroughly, and letting it completely dry, I've used gel type superglue to fill any defects, as if will stick to the vinyl.

I painted my figures using acrylic paints from the local WalMart's arts and crafts section, and didn't have any adhesion problems. Non-acrylic enamel paints don't stick well at best, and can have a chemical reaction with the vinyl that will prevent them from ever drying completely, so avoid those.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I suppose it would be classified hard vinyl. I have carved with a sharp knife, but it leaves marks that still need treatment. I hadn't thought of the Dremel. That is a good idea. I'm not real keen on the fire idea (I know my luck).

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

I spent far more time on that website than is healthy :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

You don't want to singe it either, just melt the surface slightly so that it smooths itself out.

Another alternative is to chill the vinyl in the fridge or ice water, and then use sandpaper. When it's cold, it'll be stiffer and easier to sand.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

The Dremel works well on the hard vinyl, less well on the soft stuff. The trick is to shape it with several shorts touches of the cutter head, so as not to cause the vinyl to overheat and start to melt.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I was wondering about that. I suspect it will also be more brittle & could break. What I am trying to sand is a cape. It's not real thick but I'd be afraid of snapping it if it were cold.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

I wish now that I had saved the stuff I cut off, so I could practice.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX