Wal Mart Model selection

I got ALL my Aurora 30's & 40's Indy Racers at the A&P!

Reply to
Tom Cervo

In the Army of the Sixties, there was a saying: " If it moves salute it...if it doesn't move...pick it up.. if you can't pick it up...paint it green." When you have large numbers of bodies with nothing to do, it leads to problems...so you must find ways to occupy their idle time. Young people are very restless...its a genetic thing only time will 'cool their jets' until then you must keep them busy..doing * Mickey Mouse details* to keep them from 'clustering' and forming unions and 'committee groups' and all the other things that managers fear and companies view as cancerous. It's just a fact of life in these here parts. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Michael Keown

Oddly enough, I find I can buy compartable stuff from other retailers at comparable prices, and I don't have to wonder what hidden costs are generated for the community. Now, maybe where you live, you don't have good alterntives to shopping at WalMart. You havbe my sympathy.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Have many choices... If I want to drive all over the place... if I want one-stop shopping for our household needs... guess where I go. Walmart... time is money, even to me. I'd rather spend 45 minutes in one store than 2 hours going to three! Besides, I count myself lucky if it ain't the dreaded mall and clothes shopping with SWMBO.

Chris C.

REMOVE THE OBVIOUS FROM MY EMAIL ADDY TO REPLY

Reply to
Chris

Sears at one time was one of the biggest retail chains in the states, they even sold houses out of the catalog, granted it was a 1:1 scale kit (see, I'm on topic) I think what hurt Sears, and probably helped kill M. Wards off was that they both moved to shopping malls, and were stuck after they sold their old buildings, which left them at the mercy of the malls and the ever increasing rent charges. Plus, stores like K-Mart and M. Wards and Sears kept doing things the "old way", even up into the 90's, but Wal-Mart was one of the first to use a lot of the computerized inventory systems that are commonplace now, in fact K-Mart passed on the oppurtunity to use the system, it was offered to them and Wal-Mart at the same time. By the time K-Mart decided to start using the system, Wal-Mart had close to 10 year head start. So, who's fault was this, Wal-Mart because they used it, or K-Mart being so set in their ways that they ended up in Chapter 11?

There was a story in Newsweek or US News & World Reports around the first of the year, ( I don't remember the exact date, I read the issue in the dr.'s office). The story was about stores that managed to compete and even grow in the face of competition from "big-box" type stores. For example, a small hardware store near a Home Depot decided not to sell items that he couldn't compete on, namely power tools. But, he marketed his store as a place where you coudl run in, buy a couple of bolts, and be gone, instead of going to HD and having to walk all over the store and wait in line, etc. The strategy worked.

I don't work for Wal-Mart, but I think they should get a fair shake when it comes to "they ran ____ out of business" arguments.

You can compete against the "big-box" stores, but you have to work hard at it, you won't be given another chance.

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

I'm sorry. I was in error. 'Eradicated' should only have one 'r'.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

i knew then nuetron bombs would come in handy.

no less value to property it's quick and clean and gets the job done.

-dead kennedys

I remember reading that at soem point, too... small businesses as well as large need to learn and adapt. Strangely, in this area, computer places still seem to flourish (though some shouldn't) despite Wal-Mart selling software, monitors, and retail-boxed systems...

Reply to
EGMcCann

Y E S ! ! !

I second that motion.