Warning Will Robinson!

I'm trying to replicate one of the first season Lost In Space laser guns. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? Particularly any ideas about the somewhat corrugated "power chamber" at the top over the handle:

I know this company makes good models and replicas but at a price over $600 I'd rather roll my own if possible. :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

No but thanks for directing my attention to tha website and rekindling my boyhood crush on Gabrielle Drake. More so for "Au Pair Girls" than UFO, but still...

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Well, ironically I was looking for these two pages in particular but couldn't find the when I wanted to:

and

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Try two pieces of PVC Pipe. the smaller diamter pipe should fit snugly inside the larger diameter pipe. Slice the larger diameter pipe into the six "rings", space evenly and glue.

HTH

J>I'm trying to replicate one of the first season Lost In Space laser

Reply to
Jon Statsinger

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Warning! Warning! Alien approaching!

Affirmative.

I am sorry, Will Robinson, I am afraid I goofed.

My micromechanism thanks you, my computer tapes thank you, and I thank you.

That does not compute.

I compute it to be an ionic directional probe searching for receiving outlets.

I cannot accept that course of action.

Reply to
tomcervo

The shape is not quite right-- round as opposed to oblate-- but it's still a pretty good idea otherwise. The same could even be done with metal pipe as well. Many thanks...

Ron

Reply to
Ron

The photos make the cylinder look like a flattened ovoid rather than circular if seen end-on.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Do you have access to a table router or a table saw with dado blade? Cut & carve a block of wood to the shape of the "power chamber" block's outside profile, then set up the dado blade or router to cut the excess material between the ridges. Use a fence to set the distance from the end, and a mitre gauge fence to keep it straight. You'll have to 'roll' the piece to cut the grooves along the sides. I'd suggest leaving an extra foot or two of wood at one end as a handle so you can keep your hands well away from the blade, and when finished cut off the excess.

If you don't have access to power tools, I'd suggest carving the basic shape of the power chamber out of wood or plastic, and glue on strips of wood or plastic to form the raised ridges. To get them to bend around the curved sides, you may have to either build them up with several layers of thin material, or cut slots or wedges across the inside surface to make it more flexible. Any visible gaps can be filled later with epoxy putty and sanded smooth.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I have a table saw but only an ordinary blade for it. Still, I can probably find a dadoe blade somewhere. Thanks for the tips; much appreciated! :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron