Weird Bf109 variant from Hasegawa

I paid a visit to Hannants today. Got some more F-4s! :-) and a couple of Academy F-8s.

I noticed this kit...

I didn't get one as I was already laden down and I was desperately trying to avoid impulse buys ;-) but I'm tempted to order one. I like odd-looking aircraft.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Well, that IS strange.

It's the Fieseler - Skoda FiSk 199 with a LONG crutch type wheel mounted under the fuselage a couple feet behind the cockpit. The object was to increase ground clearance for a large centrally mounted bomb. Threre's a photo of it in Hitchcock's "Messerschmitt O-Nine Gallery" on page 77. No discussion about the design other than "At least two examples converted to a Fiesler design at the Skoda Works. "

With such a close coupled "tail wheel", I'll bet it was a wild ride taxiing! Some late model G's and K's had a much simpler solution - a long tail wheel strut.

The designation is curious. I wonder if it was any connection to the later Czech Avia C 199.

Greg Reynolds, IPMS

Reply to
Greg

I think A-Model or one of the other short-run mfrs. offered this a/c some time back as well.

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
frank

It was A-Model that did it in 1/72.But I'd think it a fairly simple conversion.A long tailwheel from the parts box to make that middle strut,a big bomb from said spare parts,and scratch up the right fuselage codes.

frank wrote:

Reply to
eyeball

FWIW The underwing tank arrangement was used on a couple of reconnaissance variants of the 109, seems that would be more interesting than this experimental bomb carrying version. Of course we will also have to add the camera installation under the fuselage.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

The aircraft depicted is one of 10 produced as Bf 109G-2/R1 as prototypes for a Jabo-Rei or long range fighter bomber. Although the trials were successful the Fw 190 was used to fulfil the role with the Fw 190 G. The "third" leg was not an extended tail wheel but an actual undercarriage leg which was jettisoned after take off. the leg was parachuted back to the ground for use again. I can understand why the Fw 190 G would be a better option as the logistics in retrieving and installing the third undercarriage leg would be far greater than the use of a less radical approach to the problem that was achieved with the Fw 190 G.

Hope this helps

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor