what colour mix for 72nd Shermans and firefly

Hey all

Had some trouble finding the correct shades, nothing has come close.. HUmbrol/Tamiya paints i have access too, and the new Revell.

cheers

Reply to
Jules

=== Jules, Not too good news for your problem. From my limited excursions into the world of armor I found that the colors for armor in real life were not the same from batch of paint to batch of paint in the same unit, or from the same paint manufacturer for that matter. Fading of the paint due to the elements also contributed to the different faded looks among pieces of armor painted even from the same paint can. Conditions in the field sometimes called for thinning the paint because they did not have enough paint, or even mixing paint from various cans to be able to paint a piece of armor. My advice is to go with your feelings of what will look best for your model. Get paints that almost match and let your imagination take its course. Make believe that your are that corporal with a scruffy old brush painting the Sherman, and when you step back to admire your handiwork, you realize that the front end of the Sherman is darker than the rear end. . .

Cheers and have a Merry Christmas Season,

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Thanks Ray, i had to paint 4 72nd tanks, i tried 3 differant attempts following various kit instructions, i was not happy with any, so i made my own...then ran out of paint, and had about 8 jars on the bench i had used....now i cant remember which one i did that i was very happy with. I was about to write down what i used!!!

I spent days getting it right, so for the part i need still to do im gonna try and make a canvas sheet!!!

Reply to
Jules

I use facial tissue (not toilet tissue) spray dampened and shaped appropriately (or shaped and then dampened) to be rolled up, piled up, or covering equipment. Let fully dry on the model and then paint. Be careful brush painting lest you raise the tissue 'nap' or tear the tissue. All painting should be lightly dabbed on with a few coats of thinned paint. Weather appropriately (fading, oil stains, dirt, mud, etc.). I've made rolled canvas, canvas covering equipment, canvas just piled in a truck bed, and over soft top vehicles (Jeeps, trucks) by laying the tissue over the molded plastic top, rolling the edges under, then painting. The paint glues the tissue to the plastic.

Reply to
Willshak

Reply to
Jules