What putty?

What do you do on parts that have a very slight gap (when you glue 2 pieces togeather),is it worth trying to fill a small gap?,or is some filing needed?. Thanks.Some Polar Lights models do this,just enought to be noticed-a slight gap.

Reply to
teem

Depends on how much of a gap. Options:

1) gap-filling CA glue 2) medium thickness CA glue with filler (micro-balloons or baking soda) 3) mr. surfacer (wiping off excess.. can take several iterations) 4) milliput (wiping off excess with wet fingertip) 5) use liquid cement, and when gluing the pieces together, squeeze out a bead. That will prevent the gap in the first place. Needs to be scraped/sanded smooth after solidification.

Etc... there are several other putty options that can be put in the gap alone, while wiping off the excess. I don't recall the name of the new two part one that works like that.

I tend towards CA or CA with baking soda to fill minor gaps.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

If by slight gap, you mean about 1mm...then; just apply a liberal amount of Testors Liquid cement, to both parts, when bonding them together. Wait a minute or so, then reapply cement to both surfaces. Press the parts together firmly. Usually, enough softened plastic will ooze out, to fill a gap of 1mm or less, so that little or no putty will even be needed.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I use Tamiya putty BUT since I started taking more care with my prefitting I find I only use Mr Surfacer 500 and 1000 now - and they are great.

Reply to
Bob

Greg Heilers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthNOSPAMlink.net:

Try inserting a strip of styrene, glued with CA. You can also use stretched sprue. I stretch the sprue to a thickness that is a bit larger than the gap. Lay it on, run some CA along and hey presto! seam filled instantly.

HTH,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace