Where to get: Japanese Tissue

I mean the old shiny on one side, lightweight colored tissue for balsa airplanes, not the too-heavy stuff that you get in kits today. Available any more? In the 60's this stuff was not too easy to find.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

John,

Try the gift-wrap tissue you can get at greeting card and party supply stores, it's pretty much the same grade of tissue!

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

NO!

The gift wrap tissue is generally awful-- as bad as or worse than the tissue in some kits. It is heavy, and has no strength when wet. (Not all kits, by the way- many of the cottage kit makers have decent tissue.) My DPC Sopwith triplane came with decent tissue, for example.

You can still get good Japanese tissue from suppliers such as Peck-Polymers. Another good source is Penn Valley Hobby.

Having said the above, you can use drugstore wrapping tissue if you understand the limitations. It does come in a huge variety of colors, and can be fine for display models and OK for sport flyers. I used it on a sport model last year, and it was OK-- it gave me a two-color scheme with no painting. If you're thinking contest flying, you're almost certainly going to be better off with the Japanese tissue, though....

Check out the small flying arts website-- lots of great stick and tissue info there.

HTH,

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

Try:

I bought some there about a month ago. They only had the white, cream colored silk. I don't know if that's what you need.

Good luck, F Marion

Reply to
Francis Marion