world ends

got the june flyer today.

MeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeTooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! I looked through it real quick thinking that if there was something good I might get the item I was interested in from the May flyer. Alas, nothing to really make me want to bust out the credit card and pick up the phone for. Gotta go put 15.00 worth of gas in the car cause the tank is 1/4 empty!
Cheers, Max Bryant

gas eat model money. make e sad.
I see by me eBay lurking that some guy dropped $135.00 on a Mach 2 Vautour. I guess the economy is better than I thought. Kim M
Royabulgaf wrote:

Or that guy's worse off than he knows.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
This is not itended to offend! But I have to smile when you guys in the U.S.A complain about the price of petrol. You should come over to the U.K. and pay $6.43 a gallon ;-)

Ok, and don't take this wrong either, but in the UK, how far and how fast can you actually drive? I feel for ya, but... About an hour or two in any direction and you're "feet wet". We have states bigger than the whole of Britain, Scotland and Wales combined, and when you have to cross a dozen of those on a single trip it adds up in a hurry. I was in Bermuda on business back in the mid 90's and I remember my host screaming about $4/imp gal. Ok, but Bermuda's 24 miles long and maybe 5 wide. 20 gals would last a month or better.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

gallon tax and allow

This is true! The duty on petrol amounts to the unseen taxes imposes on all manner of goods and services by a money grubbing petty fogging government. To run my car I pay nearly 200 a year "road tax" I'm compelled to submit my car for an annual inspection which cost me 40 and I can't drive it without at least Third Party insurance which on my car amouts to 200 a year. 2/3rds of the price of fuel goes to the government and if I want to drive into London I have to pay 5 everyday. In return for this the government spends less on British roads than most countries. And as for "bending over for the Taxman" just try saying no!

individually of course you are right. if you could get a mass effort... yes i know that's very difficult. here too.
Les Pickstock wrote:

It's a heck of a drive from here. ;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE
'specially at these prices... :)
RobG

LOL, good one Bill!
Max, not intended to offend you, but.... maybe you should move closer to work? :) And I drive a 2.4l diesel 4x4 ute (sorry - pick-up) that does 30mpg and fuel prices here are STILL damn stupid. Diesel's nearly a buck a litre and petrol's over that. So it ain't just you USians that have it tough. Maybe we should all get horsies.... 'Is that you John Wayne - is this me?' ;)
RobG

<snip>
Rob Grinberg wrote:

The problem here is a lot of folks would end up moving every 3-5 years and that just plain sucks. The "more mass tranist, less roads" crowd here (who usually are college age and younger led by a few ecofascists with no actual job) always promote moving closer to work......riiiight, buy a house, fix it up how you like, get laid off/riffed/outsourced or whatever and then have to move because the next job you get is now 20-40 miles away? I don't think so because you're just going to repeat that again in a few yaers.

I was just reading an article in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ( http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04152/324817.stm ) extolling the many virtues - economic, environmental, heath, social, political - of living in an urban rabbit warren or termitary. Some questions not asked, let alone answered: If you are only paying $30 for a 50-trip MetroPass, who's paying the rest? What are things like for the populations who live at the fringe of the city or farther out? or most importantly, What if you just don't like living cheek-by-jowl with your neighbors in a 750 sq ft box?
I loved the SNCF trains in France and wish our utterly maddening system of airborne cattle cars was a tenth as good about being on time. However, it doesn't take long to realize that all is not perfect when you have an eight-car train carrying 22 people or when a dispute over what kind of snails are served in the signalmen's cafeteria becomes a economy-throttling strike.
KL
Kurt Laughlin wrote:

Screw being a termite or ant, if I wanted to live like a bug I'd grow the appropriate appendages. Only fools think they're paying all of the cost for their rides on public transportation. It doesn't help that it often doesn't go near where you need to be, has a major line or mode change in a bad neighborhood and there's always at least one idiot wearing enough perfume to stun a Canadian moose...from the Mexican border. Not to mention trying to carry anything larger than a standard attach case on public transportation.

Flying the past ten years or so has not been my cup of tea, many reasons but it suffices to say I prefer not to if I don't have to. Luckily the one time I went to France I could take a cab from the hotel to the plant and there were three of us each trip. I would much prefer train travel here, more relaxing nd less stress overall, too bad our trains are mostly freight these days.

Moving closer to work is not an option otherwise it would be done. Also believe me if I was 10 miles or so I would ride my bicycle to work. Also I work night shift and there is no public transportation (train) I can take either. Cheers, Max Bryant

anyone...

Yeah, that's my first economic indicator. Up until a couple months ago you could get a gallon for two bucks.! (Northcoast Ohio) How do you get a price jump like that!
Quite clearly we need to remove power from the Gasoline Gangsters. We need to replace the infernal combustion engine with something that runs on seawater. Don't see many government grants for that now do we? Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)

i don't care if it runs on ballon gas as long as it has 2 wheels and will go 100.