WWI

I lived with my grandfather until I was eight. He was a WWI vet...so it seemed like yesterday to me, listening to his stories. The ones he would tell, anyway.

I miss him...

Reply to
Rufus

i was so much older than i'm younger than that now.

my grandfathe made beer for the great lakes naval station.

The colour(ised) films on WWI on TV Saturday reminded me that it's going to be 90 years ago today, August 1, that the Great War got off to a start. It seemed when I was a child that it was very ancient history even though I lived next door to a veteran. It somehow seems closer now. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that we're still cleaning up after it. A lot of the world's problems are hangovers from the rampant colonialism of the time and some of the hotspots are former League of Nations' mandated territories. I remember reading in some piece after the fall of Communism that Wilson's ideas were finally triumphing over Lenin's and more people were allowed self-determination. I hope that we finally do make the sacrifices of all those young men count for the good and the choices people make for themselves are the best ones.

Then again I could just be feeling older now...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled controversies...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

that's why i used it. i do have very solid roots, ya know.

Finally, one I know! ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I think it went like this:

I was so much older then I'm younger then than now. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

nu uh!