ZELL model

Back in the mid to late 60s it seem to me that I remember seeing a model of the experimental ZELL (Zero Length Launch) Republican F-84G attached to it's transport/launch trailer at my local dime store. I was in my early teens at the time and didn't think much of it. I'm not sure if it was a Hawks or Renewal kit. I may be confusing it with a model of the Matador missile with it's trailer. Does any one know anything about the ZELL kit.

Thanks Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

It was a Hawk kit in 1/48 scale.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Hawk 300-300 Guerilla Combat Team. 1/48 scale.

Odd name for it.

They go for over $250 just about anywhere.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Yes, it's a Hawk kit. I have one I picked up on eBay a few years ago. I've thought about building it using a Tamygawa F-84 in place of the kit plane. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

There are some great detail shots of the ZELMAL setup at

.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Here's a pic of the kit:

Jer038

Okay, really dumb question: Would that plane really have been launched with the landing gear down? -- John The history of things that didn't happen has never been written. . - - - Henry Kissinger

Reply to
The Old Timer

Here's a pic of an F-100 launch with the gear down.

Jer038

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible. Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Happened to me too Keeper, then I made sure I used BOTH lines without the ">"s in the middle. Here:

Which leads to Dumb Question© #2: WHY is the aircraft launched with the landing gear down?

The Old Timer

"The Old Timer" wrote

I think the idea was to allow landing if the rocket failed to deliver enough thrust. I remember films of the first unmanned launches had the gear up and the planes were just tossed into the ground.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Jer038

Here's more pic's of the F-100 ZEL

Jabbrman01

The F-104 was also used in this system (as was the F-100) and some useful references for a great model would be Flying Review International June 1966, Wings of Fame Vol 2 and Scale Aircraft Modelling April 2002. Interestingly the cover of the first reference seems to show a wheels-up take off whereas the second reference shows wheels down. I can't imagine the wheels making much difference to survival prospects after a rocket failure... better to trust the zero-zero ejection seat!

Reply to
TP

IIRC and without diving into the MAI Library, wasn't that a German F-104?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

You are quite correct, Luftwaffe F-104's were used in Germany for ZELL. Make an even more interesting model I think!

Reply to
TP

The picture showed it launched with the landing gear up, but it could have been launched with the landing gear down. That would have been prudent in case of a emergency.

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

The F-84 ZELMAL was launched gear up and was designed to land gear-up on a rubber mat. I guess if it had gone into production, they'd have deleted the landing gear and put more fuel or ammo in.

Duncan

Reply to
DunxC

That was true. The only time the F-84 was launched with a pilot on board, he didn't correctly line up the plane with the rubber mat. The plane bounced off the mat and hit the ground, the pilot suffered a broken back, which he recovered from.

The one thing that I never heard about was how they transported the plane and trailer down country and city roads. I would guess they took the wings off and trailer them separately. It would also take time to mate the wings to the plane and raise it into launching position. Another thing that I read was that the rocket motor had to be carefully aligned with the center of gravity of the plane. All this would have taken alot of time to set up in the battle field.

I'm sure these problems where the reason why the ZELL project never went in to production.

Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

I thought (and could be wrong) that one part of the ZELL program was to have some fighters "on call" so to speak, armed, fuelled and ready to scramble at a moment's notice in case of enemy attack. I remember some photos of an F-100 being launched out of a hanger or at least halfway out the hanger doors. Anyone else remember or am I wrong on this?

The Old Timer