A or B

I have two external job possibilities coming up locally. One company uses SolidEdge and the other Inventor The jobs themselves and the companies are of a muchness really but I will need to pick up on using their particular CAD Which one of these do people consider the easiest or most similar to SolidWorks? I havent kicked tires on these products since I originally shopped for CAD thanks for any experiences and opinion

Reply to
neilscad

We looked at Inventor R1 beta before getting SW99. I had already learned SW enough to recognize that the workflow in IV is very similar to SW (In fact, I thought it was a chromed-up knock-off). I tried the SE modeler trial version at about the same time and found it different and difficult. If things haven't changed big time in the last 7 years, then I'd say IV would be your best bet.

Maybe download Inventor LT (free for now) to try it out. I'm not aware of anything from SE you could try, but it might be worth a look.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Funny had much the same shopping experience here Inventor was too immature and cost significantly more NZ$ (5-6 years ago 0.40c to US dollar now almost 0.80! - don't get me started on global slosh...) I had the same reaction to SolidEdge as you too. A personal thing maybe cos when I took an introductory SW course at the local polytechic to check it out there were some guys there doing much the same thing who couldnt relate to it well and ended up purchasing SolidEdge Unfortunately LT is US and Canada only.. but thanks for the thought Some recent blurb and videos I found shows me it isnt presently so different from SW or at least its fairly recognisable

thanks for the input

Reply to
neilscad

I taught SE for a couple years. It isn't a bad program. If you don't get their books or training you will never figure it out. Unlike SW it constrains you to a certain workflow. But once you get used to it you can really fly. I never built anything really big with it. But I know people who do. It makes nice drawings and it has a simplify feature for assembly parts and drawings.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

for someone who is so perpetually disappointed with your investment in SW, I would guess that you would want to pick the product that is

*least* like SW.

Good luck to you. Nice knowing you. Don't let the door hit you in the ass. If you need a reference, let me know.

Daisy

Reply to
FlowerPot

well thanks babe ;o)

I just want to make it easier to get up to speed for the employers sake I'm not fussed either way really The nature of the work is a little different from what I've done in the past too

Disappointed is the wrong word The reality of being in business on your own with perpetually broken software is that you get pretty f'd off with it and throw your toys on a fairly regular basis mostly cos it directly affects your income. You cant help but resent the upgrade treadmill and sounding off about stuff like the new UI It will be good to to offload the daily stress and worries to someone else for a while

Keep pushing them up Daisy later

Reply to
neilscad

BTW its now 1:45am and I'm still working...

8-5pm is going to be like a holiday every day in comparison ;o)
Reply to
neilscad

How you thought of having training, so that you, can work faster????

&$%^^$

"£%£^&**&^

wow, look at the amount of toys being thrown at me, lol soz, could not resist! BTW its now 1:45am and I'm still working...

Reply to
pete

luckily my aim is poor at this hour of the morning...

Reply to
neilscad

If I had to pick one of those, I'd look at the level of support in the area or which company had better standards and procedures set up. Any CAD software is a pain if there isn't a resonable amount of organization involved.

Josh

solidsmack

Why not choose option C. Talk your new employer into upgrading to Solidworks since it is "THE ONLY WAY TO GO". Then you'd be familiar with it an not have to go thru any new training.

I've uses Solidedge and hated it after using SW. There are several more steps to doing the simple things that SW does. One of the areas is in context relations. You have to create an extra entity in SE to add in "linked" features. This would be like offsetting a face by 0 or creating a separate sketch entity that would represent the holes you want to relate to and then use those extra features for the incontext things. You also have to create extra edges for using sillouette edges of cylindrical items and you couldn't use the end edge for adding a coincident or colinear relation.

Actually just kidding about option C. Good luck which ever way you go. Let us know which software package you like after using either one.

BTW another of my tips for unwary cadsters ... for those contemplating self employment... when you work alone its important to have good support. I have corrupted my neighbours dog so that it likes to hang out here ( mostly cos of free scones..) and it fills the role well Not a lot of criticism and a short memory..also no trash to take out and no lawns to mow.....

Here is a very rare photograph of things going well..this was taken about the same time Dubya fell of his bike...

Here is another capturing the deep silent philosophical face to face exchanges we often have when things have just f'd out....this was taken in the last half hour... :o(
'every day in every way I get a little better" thank you

Reply to
neilscad

Heh,

I have loads of pictures of the neighbours' cats. Not sure their gazes are quite as deep and soulful...

Besides, they own the pc chair.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Twit

Hey Neil,

Keep us up to date with your decision on SolidEdge or Inventer, I will be interested to see what the transitional learning curve is like.

John Layne

John Layne

seriously this is my neighbours dog they asked me to look after it while they went on a 2 month holiday about 18 months ago and now it seems to prefer being over here - slightly embarassing actually- but it can be a nice diversion from the grind in front of a screen

Reply to
neilscad

"Twit" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Funny: for a couple years now, I've had little birds (2 races, dunno the name in English) that come close and watch (2-3 meters) when I sip my beer or coffee, or work in my backyard / garden.

Reply to
Jean Marc

Robins perhaps? Red breast feathers?

When gardening they always hang about waiting to fly down and pick up the grubbs etc that you dig up.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

No brainer, Inventor and SW are very close to the same.

Reply to
Joseph