Aluminium forgings

I'm working on a design at present and looking at established comparisons the main part will need to be an aluminium forging. I have good experience with castings and machining from solid but experience with forging is limited. I have never done it but understand the process.

Has anyone here got experenece of costs, problem areas to avoid, and maybe even uk based manufacturers?

All feedback appreciated.

Reply to
Flynt

Why does the main part need to be a forging?

Reply to
TOP

It's a lightweight yet quite highly stressed part subject to pretty severe shock abuse. It's not an aircraft application but the environment is similar. If I can be connvinced that a cast part would do then that would suit me as apart from production I do have to rapid prototype the part.

Reply to
Flynt

Why not cast it and HIP it? Is the part going to be routinely inspected?

Reply to
TOP

Really don't want to sound ignorant here (of all places) but what is HIP?

Reply to
Flynt

Really don't want to sound ignorant here (of all places) but what is HIP?

Reply to
Flynt

Hot Isostatic Pressing

Reply to
TOP

?ID=247

Reply to
TOP

Hi Cliff, Well you guys are proving me wrong, I haven't worked on aluminum forgings used in airframe construction (civil) for years. Titanium and PH series cres for landing gear and engine mounts yes, but not aluminum.

Reply to
Phil Evans

same here not for a few years a lot of

6.4eli recently and some aluminium mainly for defence and motorsports i will try and post some data for the alloy from our database

whats your email

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

snipped-for-privacy@tagaerospace.com

Thanks

Reply to
pipsqueek

Hi all again, It's clear that there is a lot of knowledge about this subject here. Without wishing to drag the thread out too long, if I were to cast the part in production, what recommendations could be made for a cast alloy and heat treatment as close as possible to machined from stock material?

Flynt

Reply to
Flynt