Anyone know a good online tutorial site for learning Visual Basic?

Any good (pay or free) online learning site for Visual Basic? Anyone recommend any books for a begineer?

I have seen books on this subject at very reasonable prices at used book stores.
SW Monkey wrote:

TOP wrote:

Yep, they have a ton of books on VB. Im trying to get some recommendations. :)
SAMS Teach Yourself Visual Basic
SW Monkey wrote:

If you want a complete book, then look for Visual Basic 6.0 Step by Step from Microsoft Press.
Also just search for VB6 online training and you will find lots of free examples.
Jeff
Here's one: http://www.e-learningcenter.com/general_it.htm I took the VB6 class last year...not bad for $69
On 20 Jun 2006 16:07:32 -0700, "SW Monkey"

VB Explorer isn't bad
http://www.vbexplorer.com/VBExplorer/VBExplorer.asp
With the death of VB some 5 years ago these resources are starting to dry up. There are virtually no books left in print on VB any longer.
Good luck.
==========================================================================Chris
I wouldn't suggest learning VB6 at this point. Learn VB.Net while you aren't set in the VB6 Mentality. No use learning VB6 and having to convert the mentality to .NET later. I only had a few years of tinkering in VBA before I started using VB.NET but my boss has been using VB6 for years and can't cross over without getting mad because he used to know how to do something that he now has to approach differently. Besides you can download VS 2005 for VB.NET Express Edition for free untill november after which it is yours to use forever for free.
Corey
Chris Dubea wrote:

While I agree with your sentiment about learning VB6, I disagree about VB.NET. If you are going to learn a programming paradigm from scratch I would do C#. There are several free variants out there and I think this will be a significantly more marketable skill then VB.NET.
My casual observations indicate the adoption rate of VB.NET has been something short of desired.
==========================================================================Chris
As far as the market is concerned. I don't think the OP is getting into this to become a full time programmer. From his past comments on the NG he wants to beable to make SolidWorks do more work for him. This being said VB is known for it's ease and read-ability and has many many more examples in the SolidWorks realm.
Corey
(PS Visual Studio C#.NET 2005 is also free until november.)
Chris Dubea wrote:

CS wrote:

Thanks Corey. Thats exactly what we will be using VB for, SolidWorks.
I have some programming knowledge, took a couple of courses in college, plus Ive written several macros in SolidWorks. VB is pretty easy to understand, but I created this thread to get some recommendations for someone just starting out. We have a couple of people here that would like to start learning how to write macros, plus I would like to take a formal course.
Ill take a look at the e-learning link.
DT, is the course flash videos, or text based?
Thanks for the input.

has you clicking on stuff. There is a skills test at the end of each course. You do get to do VB programming, not just point and click in the video. There on some free courses (no VB) online to see what I'm talking about. Check out the Excel course. I had no VB experience when I took the course and got quite a bit out of it. You can't beat the price, $69.
DT